It's Official, I Hate Mmf

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm by lutie

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:27pm
post #31 of 48

Really weird. I love MMF. Never have had any issues with it. Doesn't rip. Spreads perfectly. No mess. I can make a batch in 10 minutes (from start to finish). And I roll it thin. I had to make 4 batches in a row for my sister's wedding cake and had no inconsistencies.

I use Rhonda's Ultimate recipe (and the only thing I've altered is tossing in a couple of spoonfuls of Crisco into the MMs before melting.)

I also roll it out with Crisco and nuke it right before using to make it more pliable.

One of these days I might give Michele's a try just to see what the hype is all about. thumbs_up.gif

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:35pm
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeGrlPA

Can someone please tell me what kind of gelatin the recipe refers to?

Unflavored gelatin that comes in little packs. I use Knox brand here in TX, a small box has four packs in it, the full recipe of Michele Foster's fondant calls for three of the packs. You can find it anywhere, I buy it at Walmart in the gelatin/jello area HTH.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:38pm
post #33 of 48

Thank you, aswartzw! I love MMF, too. My recipe is similar to Rhonda's but I use 1 t salt and 1 T glycerine (as opoosed to 2 t corn syrup), and I use a dram of LoRann butter flavor instead of the citrusy ones in Rhonda's recipe.

The butter flavor makes it taste like BC, the salt really kicks the sweetness, the glycerine makes it so easy to work with!

I peeked at Michelle Foster's recipe and it looks like sooo much more work! Wait for gelatin to dissolve, double broiler, straining it,... No thank you!

I can make MMF in 10 minutes or less, one bowl, one spatula. icon_biggrin.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:52pm
post #34 of 48

Wow - MacsMom I need you to come visit and teach me how to make it that quickly!!! I just could never get it right!

MacsMom Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:25pm
post #35 of 48

It's just too easy:

Grease large bowl and plop MMs into it. Drizzle 2 T water over.
Heat 1 min 20 secs. Stir.
Add salt, glycerine, flavor, color. Stir.
Add a small amount of PS and stir to absorb moisture.
Add 1/3 of what's left of PS. Stir.
Add another 1/3. Stir until you don't want to stir anymore.
Dump in the rest and knead.

I always begin kneading early on because it gets mixed faster with your hands than with the spatula.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:25pm
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeGrlPA

Can someone please tell me what kind of gelatin the recipe refers to?

Unflavored gelatin that comes in little packs. I use Knox brand here in TX, a small box has four packs in it, the full recipe of Michele Foster's fondant calls for three of the packs. You can find it anywhere, I buy it at Walmart in the gelatin/jello area HTH.

Thank you! I will check on Walmart then.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:00pm
post #37 of 48

Also, I never use all the powdered sugar it calls for. In 1 batch of MMF, I will leave 1/8 to 1/4 of the sugar in the bag. I stop adding the moment it is no longer sticky.

Here's an amazing link....

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-521083-mess.html

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:13am
post #38 of 48

I tried MMF for the first time the other day and it went horribly wrong! It would not stop tearing and in the end wound up just being a huge torn blob on my counter. You should have seen DH's face when he came downstairs and saw it sitting there.

It was late and my only option was to run to walmart and buy wilton fondant. However, I put a thick layer of buttercream under fondant so people can pick it off and get buttercream. I finished the cake and took it the next morning to my church for the pastor's bday. Later another pastor came up and was raving about how great fondant tastes. He was talking about Wilton (cardboard made pliable) fondant! crazy.

I'm going to try MMF again but I really want to try Michele's fondant first.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:01pm
post #39 of 48

After using Wilton Fondant in the Wilton classes, I tried Rhonda's Ultimate MMF and have been fairly happy with it for accents. I haven't had to cover an entire cake with it yet though. I do have a fondant cake order for next week and have the ingredients for Michelle' Foster's...

Will 1 recipe of Michelle's fondant cover a single layer 8 inch cake??

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:22pm
post #40 of 48

I used MMF for a long time... then I tried Michele Foster's recipe and the texture is soooooooo much better. I will never go back to MMF! I still have a couple of marshmallow bags left over in the pantry. icon_lol.gif

Also, I never use a mixer when making fondant. It is just as easily mixed by hand (start with a wooden spoon when the mixture is hot).

HTH

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:48pm
post #41 of 48

I like to mix my MMF with Satin Ice to stretch it because the stuff is so expensive. And the taste and texture comes out great! But I will try Michelle' Foster's fondant to see if I still need to buy Satin Ice

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm
post #42 of 48

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5213-Addendum-to-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

One of my students I had in cake classes tweaked this recipe a little and it's just wonderful!!! You have to play with MMF to really learn it. I don't have a lot of problems with it, but then, I've sat and played with it for hours icon_biggrin.gif I find it easy to mix and not really complicated to work with. The best part about it is that it's so cheap to make versus pre-made types. I tend to pinch off pieces and eat it because I just love the stuff icon_biggrin.gif

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:56pm
post #43 of 48

Thanks Macsmom for the recipe I think I will try your first, then maybe Michelle's. Yours seem super easy for a first timer. I have only used Satin ice all this time, and want to see what all the hipe is all about MMF. I hate the taste of it, and would much rather do a buttercream cake, but some customers LOVE it, so gotta do what makes them happy and brings in the $$$. Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:03pm
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by apetricek

Thanks Macsmom for the recipe I think I will try your first, then maybe Michelle's. Yours seem super easy for a first timer. I have only used Satin ice all this time, and want to see what all the hipe is all about MMF. I hate the taste of it, and would much rather do a buttercream cake, but some customers LOVE it, so gotta do what makes them happy and brings in the $$$. Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

You're welcome! The glycerine is a must for pliability (no tearing) but you can substitute corn syrup and still have good results.

If you don't have LoRann butter flavor, I also use Neilsen Massey pure chocolate extract. (It's a flavoring that isn't too sweet and tastes good with any flavor cake--what doesn't go with chocolate? icon_rolleyes.gif ). I usually do 1 t chocolate and 1 t vanilla.

If you don't have access to Neilsen Massey extracts, then Wilton's butter flavor will do (2 t).

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:32pm
post #45 of 48

I have made MMF once and I hated it. hated the texture and the taste. It was my first attemp at fondant though.

then I took a workshop with a local baker and my fondant eyes were opened. she gave me her recipe fpr white choc fondant and it was delicious. Instead of corn syrup she used inverted sugar (trimoline). it's a bit hard to find and a bit more expensive but it makes the texture of the fondant so silky smootha dn easy to work with.

anyway, even with this new recipe I hate making fondant. I hate sifting the PS and measuring all the sticky ingredients. So my husband just said "isn't there a place you can just order it from?"

so I thought about it and decided I would still make a good profit if I was ordering Satin Ice for my fondant cakes. I rent a kitchen at $10/hour so to make the fondant is probably the same price as ordering it anyway. My DH is so smart.

I like the nice ivory color the white chocolate gives it so I might still work in some melted wc to the satin ice.

I am so excited, I think it will come on Monday or Tuesday from GSA.

I will never try MMF again. sorry about your KA btw, I would die without mine. I would rather give up my cell phone, laptop, and ipod instead of my KA

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #46 of 48

I prefer Satin Ice myself, but there's a gal in our cake club who makes THE best MMF. She's showed us several times how to do it but I still haven't mastered it. icon_cry.gif

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:02pm
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

It's just too easy:

Grease large bowl and plop MMs into it. Drizzle 2 T water over.
Heat 1 min 20 secs. Stir.
Add salt, glycerine, flavor, color. Stir.
Add a small amount of PS and stir to absorb moisture.
Add 1/3 of what's left of PS. Stir.
Add another 1/3. Stir until you don't want to stir anymore.
Dump in the rest and knead.

I always begin kneading early on because it gets mixed faster with your hands than with the spatula.

Where do I buy glycerine?

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #48 of 48

The cheapest place to buy glycerin is at your druggist or one of the large supermarkets... I refuse to give an unpaid advertisement for the largest one, but any of them will have it... MUCH cheaper than the local craft stores, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%