Red & White Cake Is Done - Thx For Your Help! (Pic Uploa

Decorating By shalderman Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 1:45am by superstar

shalderman Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:46am
post #1 of 9

I posted a month or so ago about making this cake - my first wedding cake. Many of you offered great opinions and I so appreciate your help! This was for my cousin's wedding. I was overall pretty happy with the end product and she loved it which was the most important thing.

Little story on the day ~ I brought the tiers separate as I didn't want to risk a 2 hr trip with a 5 tier cake stacked up. I was still so nervous once I stacked it that the dowels were all straight and that the thing wouldn't lean/crack/fall. I did my best and I've done numerous tiered cakes but just knowing it was her wedding cake and a larger cake than I've ever done had me nervous.

So we set it up - looked great. Wedding/reception was outdoors. I had hoped they'd move it in cause rain was supposed to come. They hadn't as of setup (1.5 hrs pre wedding). Then 30 min after I set up they get me - they want to MOVE the cake about 40 ft over on the patio to get it under some eaves. icon_confused.gif A 5 tier cake with NO center dowel... Hmmmm icon_cool.gif

I tell them there is no way they can lift up the cake itself as that's just not a good idea but we could try moving the table. Had 3 strong guys moving this round table and they tell me to "walk with them to catch it if it falls" icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif Okkkkkkkaaayyyy LOL So I did and held my breath the whole time. Made it fine!

Well then 15 min before the ceremony the decide to move the reception indoors (which was great they did cause it was like a hurricane out there about 45 min later). So they did this while I sat at the reception - took the whole table again indoors, then up a freight elevator then down a hall and into the banquet hall.

The cake NEVER cracked, never tilted, and most importantly did not fall. Let me tell you - that did wonders for my confidence level! thumbs_up.gif So that is the story of the cake...a success!

And here is the pic...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1230601

Steph

8 replies
mgdqueen Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #2 of 9

I would have been flipping out by the second time they wanted to move it. The cake is beautiful. The colors and designs are terrific-great job!

tonedna Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #3 of 9

If you stacked them strong they can be moved. My cakes travel stacked. They are very heavy!. You did a great job!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:02am
post #4 of 9

You did a GREAT job!! Glad it survived the moves!!

I'll have my first wedding cake in two weeks!!

Good job!!

Dee1219 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:05am
post #5 of 9

OMG!! That is beautiful!! Nice job! I would of passed out when they moved it the first time let alone a second time!! Good for you give yourself a pat on the back!! Nice jobicon_smile.gif

butterflywings Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:09am
post #6 of 9

OH MY GOSH!!! It turned out GREAT!!! I'm so glad it "traveled" well, without a center dowel no less. i was holding my breath while reading it, so i can only imagine you being there...

and I have to tell you, I got ALL excited when I saw the pic, b/c (time to toot my horn a little) I was the one that suggested you switch the colors on each tier. It came out so much more beautiful than I thought it would. You did a great job!

shalderman Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

OH MY GOSH!!! It turned out GREAT!!! I'm so glad it "traveled" well, without a center dowel no less. i was holding my breath while reading it, so i can only imagine you being there...

and I have to tell you, I got ALL excited when I saw the pic, b/c (time to toot my horn a little) I was the one that suggested you switch the colors on each tier. It came out so much more beautiful than I thought it would. You did a great job!

Thanks everyone! I was pretty happy with how it turned out. Each time I try something "new" I cross my fingers it will turn out like I pictured and butterflywings - I loved how your suggestion came out!! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm glad to have that "first wedding cake" under my belt now - kind of like a load off icon_smile.gif LOL Not that I won't be nervous next time icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 9

I was holding my breath the entire time I was reading about them moving the cake! Made me nervous too! icon_lol.gif

Congratulations on your success! The cake looks great icon_biggrin.gif

superstar Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #9 of 9

Oh my goodness, talk about ' Have Cake Will Travel ', you did a great job, the cake looks lovely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%