3D Painting Technique?

Decorating By Kitchen_Witch Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 2:00am by TooMuchCake

Kitchen_Witch Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 3

Hi! I'm new to the forums and pretty new to cake decorating as well. I think I am addicted though and I am always looking for new things to try. I've seen this 3d painting effect on a couple of cakes online and would love to know how to do it and what its called. From what I can tell the icing is piped on the cake and then pulled with a brush down to form the petals? I am going to experiment a little with it, but if someone could tell me how its done I would greatly appreciate the help!

The attached pic is not mine, but something I found while searching the web. I apologize but I don't remember where I got it. icon_redface.gif

2 replies
mindywith3boys Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:57am
post #2 of 3

That's exactly how you do it. It's called brushed embroidery. I've never tried it myself (except in class), but it does look really pretty!

TooMuchCake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:00am
post #3 of 3

Yep, that's how you do brush embroidery. It can be done with both buttercream and royal icing. I prefer to do it in royal icing on fondant-covered cakes, like the one in the photo, but you can do it on buttercream cakes, too. I love doing it. It's easy but every striking.


Quote by @%username% on %date%