Ford F150 Truck???

Decorating By knel Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 3:11am by strawberry0121

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:52am
post #1 of 6

A good friend of mine has asked me to do a cake for his wedding rehearsal dinner. He wants a replica of his truck with his bride and himself in the cab of the truck. Anyone have any ideas about how to go about doing this? I think I know what to do as far as carving the shape of the truck, but totally clueless about making a "cab" with the fondant/gumpaste bride and groom inside... Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

5 replies
knel Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #2 of 6

Anyone? Anyone?

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:08am
post #3 of 6

This one would scare me a little too. In my mind I see sculpting the truck, but making the roof with its supports out of gumpaste (something that would harden) leaving the windshield open so the bride and groom would be visible. Sort of like a convertible top that you apply afterward.

Sorry, not too much help, maybe somebody else will have an idea too.

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 6

That is what I was thinking, too. It may take a little time to dry and definitely time to put it together since it will have to dry as you are building it.

As far as the figures, you could make the cartoonish by molding them out of fondant/gumpaste.

If they want them to actually look like them, you could use edible images on gumpaste.

knel Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:46am
post #5 of 6

That was what I was thinking, doing the front and bed of the truck in cake, and then doing the inside with some styrofoam, and other "support structure" covered in fondant/gumpaste, to look like the cab. I don't know what else to do. I think this might work! Thanks for the response! I'm a little nervous about doing this one....

Should I use fondant or gumpaste to do the cab? I will have to do the support pillars of the car, the roof, floorboard, and doors. Would one do better than the other? I'm not real familiar with gumpaste. I've only used it once or twice.

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:11am
post #6 of 6

I would say gumpaste or at least 50/50 fondant/gumpaste, since the gumpaste dries nice and hard.

You could try doing a practice one. If it turns out good, you can save it and use it for the cake. If not, you can just use it as a learning tool and do it again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%