Help With Fondant On A Square Cake

Decorating By jbc Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 5:18pm by Mandica12182

jbc Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 7

My husband's cousin just barely called and asked me to do her wedding cake on the 5th of July. She wants a sqare cake with rounded corners covered in fondant. How do you get rounded corners on a square cake? Just carve it or is that just something that naturally happens when you put fondant on a square cake? Any tips on putting fondant on square cakes would also be greatly appreciated. I have never really done much with covering with fondant. I am a little nervous about trying it on square cakes with so little experience.

6 replies
tygre Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 7

It depends on what she means by rounded, the football, fishing and 3 tier hexagon cakes in my pics all had sharp corners and edges before I covered them in MMF, after they are much softer....I would ask the bride what she means by rounded exactly. Bring her here and check out galleries with her

mindywith3boys Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 7

I have seen several links on here about covering square cakes with fondant. There is a you tube about it. I think that when you cover the cake with fondant, it will naturally be kind of rounded. The hard part is getting a nice sharp edge. Start by covering the corners first and the work the sides.

HTH!

tracey1970 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:36am
post #4 of 7

I have also done a square cake and the edges turned out sort of rounded because I didn't sharpen them.

audrey0522 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:20am
post #5 of 7

If you did what sharp corners and edges on a square fondant cake (or round for that matter) How would you get them? Thanks!

mindywith3boys Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:26am
post #6 of 7

My advice is to buy sugarshacks perfect fondant dvd. She demonstrates how she does it.

Mandica12182 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 7

" rel="nofollow">

Here's a video where aine2 shows how she does it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%