Help With Fondant On A Square Cake

Decorating By jbc Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 5:18pm by Mandica12182

jbc  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbc Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 7

My husband's cousin just barely called and asked me to do her wedding cake on the 5th of July. She wants a sqare cake with rounded corners covered in fondant. How do you get rounded corners on a square cake? Just carve it or is that just something that naturally happens when you put fondant on a square cake? Any tips on putting fondant on square cakes would also be greatly appreciated. I have never really done much with covering with fondant. I am a little nervous about trying it on square cakes with so little experience.

6 replies
 tygre  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tygre Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 7

It depends on what she means by rounded, the football, fishing and 3 tier hexagon cakes in my pics all had sharp corners and edges before I covered them in MMF, after they are much softer....I would ask the bride what she means by rounded exactly. Bring her here and check out galleries with her

mindywith3boys  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 7

I have seen several links on here about covering square cakes with fondant. There is a you tube about it. I think that when you cover the cake with fondant, it will naturally be kind of rounded. The hard part is getting a nice sharp edge. Start by covering the corners first and the work the sides.

HTH!

tracey1970  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:36am
post #4 of 7

I have also done a square cake and the edges turned out sort of rounded because I didn't sharpen them.

audrey0522  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:20am
post #5 of 7

If you did what sharp corners and edges on a square fondant cake (or round for that matter) How would you get them? Thanks!

mindywith3boys  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:26am
post #6 of 7

My advice is to buy sugarshacks perfect fondant dvd. She demonstrates how she does it.

Mandica12182  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 7

" rel="nofollow">

Here's a video where aine2 shows how she does it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%