First Wedding Cake, What A Mess!

Decorating By amy2197 Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 3:35am by amy2197

amy2197 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 5

Well, I had my first wedding cake saturday. I thought I was prepared. Had the cakes baked and wrapped early in the week. I'm a stay at home mom with a four month old and an eighteen month old so I worked late every night after they went to bed. I still thought I had everything under control. The bride did not choose a set design. She picked out several cakes she liked then let me use my own judgement. Well, I took the cake to the church on friday night after the rehearsal dinner and worked on it til two am. i was back at the church saturday morning and I had three major cracks. I went to work making vines and flowers to cover them up. South Mississippi Humidity killed my frosting. two layers wouldn't crust. who knows why so it's nowhere near as smooth as i wanted it. alls well that ends well. the bride was so happy when she saw her cake. she was so excited! She didn't want a cookie cutter cake, and she definetly didn't get one. I guess at least the brides happy and i don't have to stress over this one anymore.

4 replies
summernoelle Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 5

Wow, sorry for the stress. And you have your hands full and are probablly sleep deprived with such a little one at home.

Shake this one off, and hopefully things will go better next time! I have found that sticking to a schedule helps the most (i have 2 small kids at home, too). I bake and frost on Wednesdays, let them sit in the fridge, cover in fondant on Thursdays (and do the cake boards) and if have time decorate that day too, and then finish up on Fridays. It seems to work out that I am almost always done early Friday afternoon that way.

Good luck!

amy2197 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:29am
post #3 of 5

I'm sure having a schedule would help things out soo much! Gotta put that on my todo list. icon_biggrin.gif

amy2197 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 5

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

amy2197 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:35am
post #5 of 5

no one out there has any advice? I'm not sure why my buttercream didn't crust. Two layers did, and two layers didn't. same batch of buttercream. the cracks I don't know about either. the cake was doweled perfectly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%