Ice Cream Cake ....help???

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 1:10am by LoriMc

LoriMc Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 7

I'm having issues clicking on links from this site related to ice cream cakes! Anybody know what kind of icing Baskin Robbins uses on their cakes? I read that the ice cream cake is actually coated with vanilla ice cream and then decorated with some type of colored icing.

Anybody ever worked at Baskin Robbins??????

6 replies
auntginn Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry, Never worked for BR, but I did work for Carvers cakes and we used Pastry Pride when the cake called for a white icing. They have a chocolate ganache type that I could never figure out, but when cooled turned to a soft shell.

HTH

LoriMc Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #3 of 7

I have done some more digging and found out that the cakes are actually "iced" with softened vanilla ice cream, then refrozen and decorated (not covered) with something called Rich's Bettercreme which is non-dairy. The only place that sells it here is Sam's Club and I don't have a membership, so I need to find a recipe of something similar.

auntginn Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #4 of 7

Rich's Bettercream and Pastry Pride are very similar. Pastry Pride has 2 varieties, regular and Premier. The premier is better to work with for cakes and better tasting. I usually add a little powdered sugar when whipping it. I am not sure where you are located. I buy mine from Smart & Final, but both are carried at local restuarant supply stores. (the kind that carry food items) and you would not need a membership. It will come frozen and when thawed you will need to whip it. there is another product that is similar, its called WhipNTop.

LoriMc Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:36am
post #5 of 7

I'm in Nashville, and we have a food distributer called Sysco, but I was told they would have to order a case for me and I only need it for one little ice cream cake.

auntginn Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:40am
post #6 of 7

Oh you poor baby! Sysco is a major food distributor. I'm surprised they didn't tell you, you would have to order a pallet! haha. Where do you buy your cake supplies, do they carry any of these products? Because the cake suppy shops in So. Cal do.

LoriMc Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:10am
post #7 of 7

Yeah, I tried to call the one cake shop we have and she referred me to the food distributor places. Oh well!!!!

Back to the drawing board!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%