Sps And Wilton Plastic Dowels

Decorating By tracyl Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 12:29pm by lainalee

tracyl Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 3

I was doing my first wedding cake and I had read so much about the SPS and got the instructions from Leah (thanks!) but was worried about not being able to make my tiers the exact height. I purchase the SPS legs but also purchased the Wilton plastic dowels (not the columns) in case I need to cut them. I was able to use the SPS legs on most of the tiers but one of my tiers must have settled and there was a gap. I couldn't have that because the ribbon I was using was sheer. The Wilton plastic dowels worked great because I able to easily cut them with an exacto blade and they fit perfectly in the SPS plate. To make them a bit snugger I wrapped a couple of layers of masking tape around the end before I inserted them into the plate. Just thought I would let everyone know because I have read some posts about tiers not being the exact height.

And Leah, thanks again for the SPS instructions because they made it so much easier.

2 replies
leah_s Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:17am
post #2 of 3

You can cut the SPS columns with a miter saw or a chop saw.

lainalee Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:29pm
post #3 of 3

We cut them with a pipe saw. Very easy to do as you just fit in saw and turn the leg til it cuts thru.

Quote by @%username% on %date%