Question - Ending Cake Business.....what To Do With Contract

Business By jenstastycakes Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 12:13pm by Erdica

jenstastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenstastycakes Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 9

My question is this.....

I am having to end my cake business for many different reasons some of these being health and moving (same city just smaller place). I have two wedding cake contracts coming up one in July and one in August that I dont feel I will be able to make the cakes like they are wanting. How should I go about backing out of these contracts?

Have you ever had to back out of a contract? any advice you can give me would be great. I just would hate to make these cakes and they not be what the bride wants.

8 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 9

First call them urgently .. so they have time to book with someone else.. give them a refund if you took a deposit.. and explain the reason why you can't.. honesty is the best policy

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 9

Given how close it is to the weddings (especially the July one), if there is any way at all for you to honor the commitment, then I would try and do it.

If you really feel like you cannot make the cakes, then first off, regardless of the reason, you should probably expect some very pissed off brides. Second, refund ALL deposits with profuse apologies. Third, have the names of several bakeries or other bakers that might be able to make their cakes.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 9

Do you have any other friends in the "business?" I am cutting back on my custom cake orders to focus on the off-the-shelf part of my business, so I found another baker to refer my clients to. I think it would be a lot easier to break the news to your brides if you already have someone of equal abilities/price that can take care of them; otherwise, the first thing that will come to their mind is "who will I find at such late notice!"

Definitely refund all payments/deposits and call them right away!

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:59am
post #5 of 9

Tell them ASAP and refund all their money. Even if you can recommend other bakeries, that still puts a lot of stress on the brides because they chose you (not the other bakeries) and thought they had all this taken care of. How long ago did they place the orders?

If it was me and I was physically able, I would do all I could to take care of those last two orders. I don't know your whole story and I feel for you but I also feel badly for those two brides if they have to start at square one for a decorator. JMO

Good luck.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:06am
post #6 of 9

The idea of a contract is that you can't unilaterally decide that you're not going to honor it.

Check with your lawyer, and prepare to be supplying cakes to these two people whether you want to or not.

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:18am
post #7 of 9

I would even offer to pay a certain amount if they have to pay more than what they are paying you when they do find someone. I would tell them when they bring me their receipt, I will pay 'X' amount of what they paid over my price. So if it is $150 more, I would pay at least $75-$100 of it.

That may sound nuts, but not honoring the contract would make me CRAZY!!

jenstastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenstastycakes Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:49am
post #8 of 9

Thank you all for your advice. After much praying about it and talking with my husband some more I have decided that I will finish out the contracts I have and then be done.

I too would hate to be a bride and have someone back out on me at the last minute. Therefore I will not be doing that to someone else.

Thanks Again!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:13pm
post #9 of 9

Could you also check and see if another baker can help you? I have a handful of bakers that I can pick up the phone or shoot an email and ask for help or we refer clients to as well. Just a thought.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%