Please Tell Me What This Cake Needs?

Decorating By dtmc Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 2:48pm by dtmc

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all, I'm doing a faux cake here for a display for a catering company that I am working with. WHat do you think the cake needs for decorations? It is all white fondant with polka dots, stripes, and diamonds painted with super pearl dust. I was thinking of doing a big looped bow on top and some bows on the side. Can anyone else help inspire me for decorations? Should I do gumpaste flowers? What kind of flowers? Any help is appreciated....THANKS! OOH...also....do you like the off center look...OR should I put the cake more straight forward?

[img]C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\My Pictures\\Tiffs Cakes\\Wedding Cakes\\Wedding cake_faux 002.jpg[/img]

12 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 13

I don't see a cake when I open that link. Can you attach it somehow or put it in your photo album?

it sounds beautiful though

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 13

To use the [img] code, you have to upload the photo to a photo hosting site, for example photobucket.

Your cake does sound wonderful, though.

dtmc Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:53am
post #4 of 13

Sorry. When I was attaching the photo my computer crashed. I have been having trouble with my pc. Anyhoo...here is the photo. Your comments are very much appreciated. THANKS!

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #5 of 13

I think its really beautiful. Maybe just a topper would really complete it.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:07am
post #6 of 13

I'd love to see some flowers (gumpaste or silk) on the top and on the large blank triangles on the top of the bottom tier.

That is very clean and elegant work!

Deanna

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:26am
post #7 of 13

I second the flowers! I think some pale pink lilies, or peonies, would look really pretty on your cake.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:05am
post #8 of 13

Maybe a beautiful wide ribbon bow (GP) with streamers that would flow all the way to the bottom tier in a striking color icon_biggrin.gif Yep, I would like that!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:32am
post #9 of 13

yes, I agree with the bow with tails draping sown onto the table.

Are you keeping it monochromatic? I think it would be lovely to have a white bow and ribbon. If you are going with some color definately pale pink.

I also like the look of dots or dragees placed where the diamonds meet, i think it dresses them up a bit.

I just quickly searched "diamond" in the gallery and got these cakes, the first is very elaborate and the second is more of what I was thinking.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=83933

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=694993

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:58am
post #10 of 13

I love it, love it!!! I wouldn't add any flowers or bows personally, but perhaps a bit of greenery when displaying it. With an intended topper, this will look gorgeous!

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:43am
post #11 of 13

i would go with the GP bow...

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:56am
post #12 of 13

I third the vote on a beautiful bow with streaming ribbons painted with the luster dust. Great job.

dtmc Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:48pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks everybody for your advice. I think I will add some pearls or silver dragees to the diamonds (where they meet). I think I will do a multi looped bow on top with tails flowing out painted in the pearl luster dust and add some pale pink flowers to the sides. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%