...make Stargazer Lilies Without A Cutter?

Decorating By tomatoqeen Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 12:50am by FromScratch

tomatoqeen Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 5:56am
post #1 of 11

I have been unable to get a large cutter to make stargazer lilies. I have heard you can make them with RI, but I cannot find any instructions. I want to make large ones (5"). Can anyone help me? TIA

10 replies
all4cake Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 6:12am
post #2 of 11

can you use this technique

allow to dry then add the finishing coloring?

For 5" lilies, I'd use tip 112 or thereabouts...it may be done possibly with a smaller...70 tip...depending on your pressure.

Make some larger foil forms similar to the flower formers before you begin.

tomatoqeen Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks! I'll give it a try!! icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 11

Way back in the old days of decorating cakes with gumpaste flowers, all flowers were cut by hand - no cutters. The decorator created a template, often by buying one of the flowers and taking it apart, tracing the petals and leaves onto heavy cardstock, and using that to make the flowers. They also used veining tools, toothpicks, pins, etc, not molds, to create the textures in the petals and leaves.

If you have the flower available to you in a supermarket, maybe you could give the Old School technique a try.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tomatoqeen Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:00am
post #5 of 11

Great minds think alike!! I did the same thing today with a silk flower from Michaels (Costco didn't have any lilies today!) Thanks for your information and taking the time to respond! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:23am
post #6 of 11

Here here Theresa!! I don't use molds or schmancy veiners on my flowers.. partly because I can't see spending $35 for some silicone with lines and bumps in it and partially because I think it takes the art out of it. If I have a flower that I want to try but don't have a cutter for I usually look up the cutter and print it out and scale it up or down and make a template. If I like it and will use it often.. I'll buy the cutter. If not.. no harm no foul. Stargazers are easy.. I have a cutter set and it has 2 cutters. They are the same length and different widths. The inner petals are the wider ones and the outer petals are the thinne ones and you need 3 of each. HTH's a little. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:49am
post #7 of 11

Yes, Jeanne, and I have come to realize over the past years that learning this craft from people who have been in the business a very long time are the best people to learn from, because they not only teach a technique, they teach the evolution of it, from the way they did it back then, to the way it's done now. It's like getting two classes in one!

Or maybe I'm just an information junkie.... icon_lol.gif

But I like your idea of copying the pic of the cutter. I never thought of that one. I guess it's off to Staples for card stock again!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 11

I am an information junkie too. When I set out to try a new recipe I look up the history of the recipe and how it evolved. Call me wierd.. I like knowing the back story.

And when I set out to make a new flower I will research the anatomy of it and look at tons of pictures and if I can find one I will look at one up close and see how it fits together.

Don't get me wrong. I think the new technology is neat and there's a time and place for it all. But it seems like anyone can pick up a cutter and mold set and start making just about anything these days. I try to not use molds if I can. Maybe I am just a sucker for punishment. icon_wink.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 11

Nope, you're just a fan of Old School, just like I am!

I do all that, too! I love to read the old books (yes, I acutally read them, not just look at the pictures) and see how they did things years ago.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

pianocat Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 11

There is a lily template here on cc, I cut mine out and then did according to the tutorial on stargazers here on cc.

FromScratch Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:50am
post #11 of 11

I do that too Theresa.. LOL. Ahhh a kindred spirit. I like seeing what a recipe used to be and how it evolved into what it is today. I guess I am a bit old school when it comes to cooking. Don't get me wrong.. I love to try new and exciting things.. I just like to know the roots.

Quote by @%username% on %date%