Question About Pictures Being Deleted

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 9:39pm by Molly2

Molly2 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:47am
post #1 of 11

I understand the reason but I have to ask. As I looked though my pictures tonight I see some of my pictures have been deleted without me asking for them to be deleted they were pictures of different angles of my cakes no more then 2 pictures of the same cake and not all my cakes had 2 picture most are just one picture and it was to my understanding that we could post as long they were different angels of that cake but as I look though the gallery I see some people have 2,3 even 4 pictures of the same cake is this rule for everyone or just certain people? just curious

Molly2

10 replies
JoAnnB Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 6:10am
post #2 of 11

The moderators are going through thousands of pages. All the duplicates will eventually be deleted. Many people are chosing to edit the photo to be a collage of other views into one photo. Many photo editing software will do this.

veejaytx Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 6:19am
post #3 of 11

Here's a link to what's been going on for the last couple of weeks with the photos:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-586287-0.html

KoryAK Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 6:20am
post #4 of 11

And I believe its not a second angle thats allowed, but a second angle that shows entirely different elements not visible from the first angle.

veejaytx Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 6:29am
post #5 of 11

Nope, not even different angles unless you can do a collage:

"What we have been told as moderators is that only one picture per cake. If you wish to show the sides or different angles of the cake you are to make a "collage" of it, and post it as one."

ceshell Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 6:53am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

Nope, not even different angles unless you can do a collage:

"What we have been told as moderators is that only one picture per cake. If you wish to show the sides or different angles of the cake you are to make a "collage" of it, and post it as one."

Is that entirely true? I am wondering why they haven't changed the "rules" on the upload page then.
It still states: "Duplicate photos are not allowed.
You may upload 1 photo of a cake and choose the most appropriate photo gallery for that 1 photo. On occasion its OK to upload a different angle of your cake, but we prefer you only do that if it the other photo shows entirely different details of the cake, that are not visible at all in the other photo. Please try and limit any "different" angle photos to just 1, that way there are not more than 2 photos in the gallery of the 1 cake."

It still says ON OCCASSION (yes, I too see several people who almost ALWAYS post multiple pics of the same cake) rather than stating that you can NEVER have a different angle. It says "Please try and limit," not "If we discover a second cake photo, even if it's an entirely different angle, it will be deleted." Can you clarify with H+J, maybe let them know that they should change the upload page's written "rules" because otherwise y'all will continue to run into confusion and disappointment. Which is too bad because we know you are just trying to get things running smoothly here at CC.

BTW this is by no means a complaint about the policy or what you mod's are doing to clear out the database, but I just wanted to point out that there is a bit of a discrepancy in the rules and it's just going to continue to lead to hurt feelings and frustrations as people see their pics (along with their beloved comments) disappear contrary to what they believe they read when they uploaded the pic.

KrisD13 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:49am
post #7 of 11

I've been checking that thread. If it contains a pic of completely different elements, then, yes, they allow the pic.

If it is just a different angle showing exactly the same details, they will delete it.

I think they are doing a good thing here, cause eventually, there would be no room left on the servers if everyone posted a multitude of pics of one cake.

ceshell Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:15am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisD13

I've been checking that thread. If it contains a pic of completely different elements, then, yes, they allow the pic.

If it is just a different angle showing exactly the same details, they will delete it.

I think they are doing a good thing here, cause eventually, there would be no room left on the servers if everyone posted a multitude of pics of one cake.

Thaks KrisD, that's what I thought but I was a little concerned by the direct quote veejaytx included, that sort of contradicts what we understand about the process.

Anyway I totally agree with you, I do think they're doing a necessary thing. I know Heath once stated that server space is not really an issue, but the way I see it is, if we all post 5 angles of each of our cakes, it will become an issue! Plus it's hard to nav. the galleries when you have to wade thru more than an occasional multiple shot of a cake.

Molly2 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #9 of 11

I understand why this has to be done I love this site I have learned a lot I was just curious Iâm sure others feel the same as I do I only do this as a hobby and these cakes are kind of like my babies I was looking though the gallery and notice that a lot of members have pictures of the same cake 2,3,and 4 but when I looked at mine I notice that some of mine were gone I kind of got offended Iâm all for improving this site I know next time to make a college instead of posting more the one picture Thank you to the creators and all its members who have answered every question I have ever asked and for all the complements of my pictures keep up the good work I hope to be able be a member for a long time.

Thank you,
Molly2

BCo Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 11

I have a quick question and maybe this had been addressed but I didn't look - what happens if someone has that picture that is being deleted saved in their favorites?

thanks
brandie

Molly2 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 11

it too is deleted I had some saved and they are also gone

Molly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%