May Be Crazy-Kitchenaid Bowl In The Oven?

Decorating By KTcakes Updated 9 Jun 2008 , 3:39am by doughdough

KTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTcakes Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:30am
post #1 of 7

Let me preface this with - I am probably crazy

BUT

I need to make a barbie cake, don't have (nor does the store in my area) the appropriate pan. I had heard of someone using a pyrex bowl to get a skirt shape, but thought the kitchenaid stainless steel mixing bowl would look more skirt like.

Can anyone see problems with this? Can it go in the oven safely? I suppose I could also try sculpting a skirt out of round cakes . . .

6 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:01am
post #2 of 7

I use regular pans and then trim them down. Like a 6, 8, and 9" x 2" tall each.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:08am
post #3 of 7

Just might work. I know I use a coffee cup to make the mini dolls and it works great.

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:11am
post #4 of 7

Havenât tried the Kitchenaid bowl⦠Should be possible, just make sure to use some long metal piece inside the cake (in lieu of a heating core), and maybe wrap the bowl in a wet towel (for bake even strips), as such a thick cake would be a challenge to bake evenlyâ¦

I intended to shape mine out of regular rounds, but then decided to just use as is, as it seemed like a huge waste of cake to carve -- so my Barbie ended up a little "different", but here it is just as an alternative to the bell-shaped skirt:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1170389

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:15am
post #5 of 7

The bowl is metal, I don't see why it wouldn't work. (Just don't quote me on that!) I would try it.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:23am
post #6 of 7

I agree with KoryAK bake in regular pans and carve. Just freeze them first so they don't crumble while you carve and use a serrated knife, thats your best bet. I would not risk messing up my KA, it's like one of my family members.

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:39am
post #7 of 7

I suppose if you have a KA bowl to spare and you're feeling brave, I say go ahead and give it a shot! Then let all of us know how it turned out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%