What Would You Charge?

Business By mgdsue02 Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 11:32pm by JulieB

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:22am
post #1 of 6

I made a mock version of "A Lifetime Journey" just to see if I could. It turned out great and I am going to add it to my "resume". I normally charge $3.75 per serving for a fondant covered cake. This one was a 6", 9", and 12". Normally that sized cake would go for about $315. I told my DH I thought this one should sell for $600-$650. The time involved making 26 large, 26 small and 90 mini flowers and brush embroidering the large and small ones, not to mention the leaves on the cake warrant a higher price. My DH said that was crazy, that the price was too high. What do you think????
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1230212.html

5 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #2 of 6

I charge $5/serving for fondant covered cakes. I would have added at least $2/serving for all the detail work.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:05am
post #3 of 6

husbands tend NOT to be the best judge on pricing. To most guys "it's just cake" so they can't appreciate the time and talent that goes into it, even if they are right there .... walking thru the kitchen once in awhile to grab another beer from the 'frig as you log in the hours and hours it takes to create something like this. icon_rolleyes.gif

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 6

My fondant prices start at $3/serving. I would add $1.50 to the serving.

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:03am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the feedback. Still pretty new at this selling decorated cakes stuff. I have been baking muffins and pound cakes for a coffee shop for two years. It is just in the last several months that I have seriously begun working toward getting a cake baking/decorating business up and running. I have a website now and my daughter is helping me with flyers. I already have a reputation as the person everyone calls to bring a cake to the party, but now I want to move up. I just don't want to charge too much or too little. icon_smile.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 6

You did a great job on that cake, it's beautiful.

Don't listen to your husband, my ex used to balk on spending $4 for a blackberry cobbler at Wal-Mart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%