Stop This From Happening????

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 4:35am by dldbrou

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:11am
post #1 of 10

OK....I've had buttercream crack before. But this is like huge crevices!! icon_surprised.gif It had cracked a little but then when I moved the cake these huge cracks appeared icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif !! It turned out ok just because of the construction theme....it looked like a quarry or desert. But if not I would have FREAKED!!! How do you prevent something like this?? And how would you fix it? Did I need more support under the cake? I did add an extra cake board hot glued to the bottom and that seemed to help a little. Any opinions would be highly appreciated because I really don't want this to happen again!!! TIA!

If you look on both sides of the truck are the deep ones and then several smaller ones around.......

I couldn't post my pic in the forums but if you look in my photos it's the dump truck cake.

9 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #2 of 10

The board under the cake must not be flexable. It may take two or more cardboards wrapped together for a heavy cake. I use wood, drums, or multiple carboards under all my cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #3 of 10

What a fabulous looking cake! Only you and your fellow cake decorators would have noticed the crack!

That's a LOT of cake, tho. I would have put at least 3 boards, probably 4, if all I had was cardboard. My first choice would have been a masonite or plywood-type of board.

I think it was just the weight of the cake.

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:51am
post #4 of 10

What a great cake!!! It looks to me also like you may not have had a thick enough board, very important to get a sturdy board, especially if the cake has to be transported at all....but on this cake it looks like part of the decorations! Nice job on all the details!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:55am
post #5 of 10

I used foamcore, I think it was 1/2 in thick. I thought that foamcore was more sturdy than cardboard. What do you mean drums? And where do you get masonite? Like at home depot or something? Thanks guys! Hopefully this will save me some heartache in the future....icon_wink.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:27am
post #6 of 10

masonite is like "peg board" with no holes. Usually smooth on one side, and kind of like rough texture on the other. Home Depot will do two cuts for free. You can get a 4'x8' sheet, or it comes in 1/2 sheets and 1/4 sheets too. Fairly cheap too....

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:52am
post #7 of 10

I use styrofoam sheets. I get them at Lowes or Home Depot. They are about an 1" thickness 4X8 sheets that I cut with a serrated knife. If the cake is unusually heavy then I will add a thin sheet of plywood under the styrofoam board and cover with paper. This is not only sturdy, but light. I have carried three tiered cakes with not cracking with this method.

Fantastic cake by the way.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:25am
post #8 of 10

When using cardboard under cakes do you know to make sure you alternate the direction of the corragation (lines) in the cardboard to make a strong base? I haven't used masonite but I've thought about having some boards cut if I get busy again. It's a good idea, but you'd want to make sure you got them back. I would anyway.

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:31am
post #9 of 10

I've had some heavy sheet cakes and I use plywood. I actually covered mine with silver material to look like foil and covered that with thick plastic cover from a craft store. I just keep it and use it for all of my cakes. It was a little extra work to make it but I love the great support.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:35am
post #10 of 10

By the way, make sure to include the price of the board in your cost of the cake so you don't have to ask for the board back. If you do want the board back, then take a deposit on the board just in case it does not come back. You can have the store cut the board to the size you need for a small charge, so include that charge as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%