How To Do A Cat In The Hat, Hat!

Decorating By ladycake17 Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 11:40pm by dragonflydreams

ladycake17 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:51am
post #1 of 11

I need some help on how to do a Cat In The Hat, hat cake. Please help!

10 replies
ceshell Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 8:13am
post #2 of 11

It's hard to do a search on this in the galleries because you can't use ALL of the words "cat in the hat" to search (to the best of my knowledge) but you can find some pics if you type in Seuss.

Here is the one I saw where the cake itself is a hat; (otherwise quite a few use a RKT hat on top of a Seuss-themed cake)

Maybe it will serve as inspiration or else perhaps PM the decorator?

In a nutshell I'd say it's as simple as baking 3-4 layers of cake (depending on your serving needs), torte if you need extra height, stack (using dowels and hidden cake boards at appropriate intervals) and then either decorate with fondant or buttercream as desired.

If you find a tried-and-true method for getting the fondant onto a tall, cylindrical cake please do come back here and post how you did it! I did it myself for a cake shaped like a stockpot (3 6" rounds btw, each torted and filled, made the cake approx 10" tall)...looked great till the fondant fell off 6 hrs later (granted, I did not apply it correctly). I've read that the best way is to freeze the stacked/crumb coated cake and then logroll it onto your fondant, overlap the edges in (what will become) the back and seal them with gum glue. Haven't tried it yet, but thought I would pass that along.

Shola Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:21am
post #3 of 11

I found this pic of one, it looks like two stacked 6" 3 layer cakes, and with the white stripes of fondant.
You could perhaps cover both cakes separatly in red fondant and when you stack them cover the join with a white stripe of fondant, it looks to me like she has put the stripe right at the bottom of the second cake and overlapped just slightly to cover the join?
You would defo need dowels for support, and I think you could just push the top cake off kilter just a bit and then you have that slight whimsy look!

Hope that helps or gives you some ideas! icon_biggrin.gif

dragonflydreams Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:31am
post #4 of 11

. . . actually, you can do a search for "cat in the hat" in the gallery and it will pull up all of the cakes that have that as part of their keywords . . . there may be others . . . but if there are no keywords attached it will be difficult to track them down (hope everyone is listening as to why keywords are soooo helpful when we are trying to locate your beautiful cakes icon_wink.gif ) . . . when you search for Dr. Seuss a couple of really nice "hat" ones come up. . . . . and there are others too . . .

ceshell Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:24am
post #5 of 11

Hey Shola that's a great link! And great idea about wrapping the cakes separately and then just disguising the join w/the white stripe. Love it!

Dragonfly dreams, looks like the site was malfunctioning when I tried that last night. Doh icon_redface.gif Funny thing is, every now and then if you type in multiple words, you get zero results, but it's happened to me so many times I just assumed it was a "feature". Now I know it's just an occasional bug, thanks for enlightening me! Whew! Searching in the galleries is a real hassle when you think you can only use one word. (I agree about the keywords though.)

ceshell Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 11
Originally Posted by ceshell

I've read that the best way is to freeze the stacked/crumb coated cake and then logroll it onto your fondant, overlap the edges in (what will become) the back and seal them with gum glue. Haven't tried it yet, but thought I would pass that along.

Shisharka just did a cake using this technique. Cool! Check it out! icon_smile.gif

shisharka Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:03am
post #7 of 11

ceshell, thanks a lot for the tip. Iâd try anything new that I see that would make my cakes better â and since I absolutely LOVE tall cakes, this sounded like a very cool â and completely logical, why wouldnât *I* think of that icon_smile.gif ?! â approach⦠Thanks for posting it!!!

While the cake I made is not a Dr. Seuss hat, it could easily be decorated as one⦠I baked four 4.5â rounds from one Dr. Oetker organic chocolate cake mix plus extender. Layers ended up about 1.5â - 1.75â thick after leveling. I intended to use all 4, doweled in the middle, but then got lazy and only used 3, just stacked straight up, no board or dowels. All torted for a total of 6 layers of cake and 5 layers of ganache (oh yeah, and I put fresh banana slices with the ganache, as if it wasnât risky enough of a structure, but what can I say, Iâm a slave to making cakes that taste good, too...), completed cake was a little short of 6â. I would not do this with any other filling but ganache â well, maybe SMBC â it just has got to be chilled to set wellâ¦. It was substantially more stable after 15 min in the freezer, so I frosted it in a smooth layer of ganache and in the freezer it went for another 15-20 min â can you tell I was in a hurry and just wanted to get to the fondant part?! Rolled the fondant, sized to wrap around, plus cover the top and fold under the bottom of the âlogâ in a rectangle⦠Then just rolled the chilled cake on its side and sealed the fondant just with brush of water⦠Yeah, there is a vertical âseamâ, but not bad at all, clean cut and lots of smoothing cover it up reasonably, plus cakes have âbacksâ after all icon_smile.gif

The only negative part of this approach is that the top of the cake gets a little unsightly where the side fondant pieces come together in the center. Top edges are absolutely perfect, and top gets reasonably smooth overall, but it must have some kind of topper â such as a bow, or a bunch of flowers, or just something to cover about a 2â wrinkly surface in the center⦠For a hat cake, maybe what would work is a fondant circle, the size of the cake, slapped on top of it with maybe a fondant rope around to make for a smooth âfabricâ rimâ¦

ceshell, thanks again!

ladycake17, good luck with your Cat in The Hat cake, Iâd love to see it, please post a pic... My little guys are big Dr. Seuss fans so it is only a matter of time I make one of those myselfâ¦

ceshell Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:50am
post #8 of 11

No no, thank YOU shisharka!!! This is such a great, detailed explanation of how to do the logroll technique. Where the *$&% were you when I was making my Remy cake last year??!! icon_mad.gif

eta: and what in the bloody blazes are you doing up so late on a weeknight?! LOL.

shisharka Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 11
Originally Posted by ceshell

eta: and what in the bloody blazes are you doing up so late on a weeknight?! LOL.

Well⦠our 2-year old was waking up on the hour with an ear infection, so there was no point for me to go to bed⦠It was either browsing CC or trying out a new recipe from a heaping pile, and I thought I chose the more reasonable alternative, LOL⦠What was that thread, youâre a cake decorator whenâ¦icon_razz.gif

Remy is GORGEOUS!!!!! Straight to Favs he went! Oh, and I had to fetch out your disaster thread⦠That is one TALL cake... Great save!!!

ceshell Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:37pm
post #10 of 11

Aw, thanks for the compliment! That was a good disaster but I still would have preferred to have done your tall-wrap technique and saved myself the headache! Glad you chose CC over baking at 1am, hope the little one is better today. icon_smile.gif

dragonflydreams Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:40pm
post #11 of 11

. . . found an interesting video that has a cat in the hat cake about half the way through . . . . . . although it is more like a 2D rather than 3D in as much as it is not "standing up" . . . still a cool cake nevertheless . . . and some of the others are pretty cool too . . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%