Tired Of Not Getting Paid! Won't Happen Again!

Decorating By kimmy37 Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 4:31pm by sassycleo

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #1 of 16

AArrrghhh! Just need to vent. This has happened a few times to me... but this last time just really irritated me! I've had a couple of times when I've dropped off a cake and got a "Oooo..... can I pay you on Tuesday?" Last weekend I made a graduation cake for the son of a girl I used to work with. Full sheet with additional round cake on it...fondant hat and scroll (in my pics). Anyhow... I only charged about half price for it. When she came to pick it up 7 days ago, she called on the way to tell me to write my mailing address down for her so that she could mail me a check. Two days later, I got an email thanking me and complimenting the cake... the last line was "Oh! I need to get that check out!" I immediately replied saying, "please do... I only have $39 until Friday!" She only lives 15 miles away, the check should only take a day to get to me. Well, on Friday, still no check... I emailed asking about the check. She replied that she sent it on Tues and I should've gotten it by now. Still no check. Does a grocery store let people do this??? icon_mad.gif I'm sooo ticked. I have a wedding cake in less than 3 weeks for her cousin. I'm soo tempted to bail out..... but I won't do that to the bride. Soooo... from now on.... No $$$, no cake!!!! I'm sooo done!

15 replies
Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:17am
post #2 of 16

Good for you!! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:19am
post #3 of 16

Yes.. no money no cake is the best mantra. And if it's less than 3 weeks until the date the cake is due.. paid in full IN CASH or no deal.

Never ever ever ever ever ever EVER turn your oven on to make a cake until you are paid in full. And when someone says "Oh can I just pay you tomorrow?" say sure.. and I'll bring the cake back tomorrow when you pay. What the heck do people think??

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:50am
post #4 of 16

I can totally relate. I am so sorry this happened to you. It sucks when it happens. I just had a really close family friend do the same thing to me on a wedding cake! I honestly don't know what goes through these people's minds. They seem to think we have these endless supply cupboards that are waiting to fill their every wish for a special cake and that we are all eagerly waiting to sacrifice our time and money on a cake for them and we will just get paid whenever if at all. I mean after all what's the big deal? it was just cake! lol I have heard that a thousand times it seems like. I have a contract and it is not my practice to just show up without getting paid but you would think people we are close to would support and protect us the most. Honestly I would rather have Jane Doe off the street sometimes. So classic that she used the good old" check is in the mail" routine. I think it honestly is an insult to our intelligence when people think to use that line. I hope things get better for you! You deserve better than that for your beautiful work and patience. We bakers should get hazard pay for all ignorant people we seem to find in our line of work. icon_evil.gif
Better Luck to you

Lacicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lacicakes Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 6:03am
post #5 of 16

I think people think you can whip up the cake of thier dreams in an hour. They have no clue how much goes into thier special cake. Most people do not understand the out of pocket cost just for the supplies. They want thier cake on time but don't want to pay on time. Not counting the stress of getting it done the way they want it when they want it. For the most part I think people are decent about doing the right thing and paying for what they get. But you always have that few that want something for nothing. I don't understand where this lady gets off thinking you have nothing better to do than whip up a cake for her and all she has to do is stop by and pick it up while you wait for a check in the mail. Pretty inconsiderate of her.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 16

I work in a bakery so I think it's a little different. We get most of our orders phoned in. We don't get any payment until the customer comes to pick up the cake. However, if they don't have the money they certainly can't come in and walk out with the cake and say, "I'll send you a check next week." We do most of our cakes assuming they will pay and not back out. Thankfully I've never had that happen in the 2 years I've been there. I have, however, had customers come in to pay for a cake and hand me a credit card. We're kind of "old school" and take only checks and cash. We're working on the credit card thing. In those cases, though, the customer always goes to the ATM or writes a check. We do take 50% deposits on wedding cakes or large cakes over $100. They have to pay the other half when it's picked up or pay before the delivery date.

Stick to your guns! Cash up front!

abw2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abw2005 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #7 of 16

I'm so sorry you are having problems collecting...icon_sad.gif My policy is no $, no cake as well. I require 1/2 down at the time of the order that is non-refunable, with the balance due 60 days before the event. If they don't pay, I keep the $ and they don't get cake. It stinks that we have to be that way with people, but it's the only way to protect ourselves, and our pocketbooks!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:02am
post #8 of 16

Send her another email and say that you will be buy her house in 20 minutes to pick up the cash for the cake and if her check does show up in the mail, then you will return it to her. If she gives you any excuses about why she can not pay you cash, then tell her there will be a $5.00 a day late charge for the cake until it is paid in full. That should get her attention. Explain to her that the cake was finished on time and she is overdue on payment and you have to replace your supplies for the next cake due. Then set up a policy in writing that a 50% deposit is required at the time of booking and payment in full due before the cake is picked up.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 16

People can not rip you off unless you allow it. I do not allow people to rip me off. PERIOD. When someone orders a cake from me I tell them to drop the check in the mail today (or two weeks in advance of order). I have had people bring the money in advance if it was short notice. I am not:

Santa Claus
The Easter Bunny
The Tooth Fairy
their Fairy Godmother

I expect to be paid. If no money arrives I consider the cake cancelled. I do not bake unless I have been paid. PERIOD. No ifs ands or buts. If I want to give away a cake I will but its my decision to do so - not theirs!

As for payment upfront. If they balk at it that is their problem. This is a perishable item - you can't put it back and unbake it. If you order flowers over the phone to be delivered to so and so's funeral, new baby, I love you honey flowers - Ms. Florist Lady is going to say "credit card please". Flowers will not be delivered if not paid.

Hugs to you my dear and NO CAKE for her EVER that is not paid - or for anyone you are charging for that matter. Take control of your business and get paid for your work. You are worth it!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:47am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise

People can not rip you off unless you allow it. I do not allow people to rip me off. PERIOD. When someone orders a cake from me I tell them to drop the check in the mail today (or two weeks in advance of order). I have had people bring the money in advance if it was short notice. I am not:

Santa Claus
The Easter Bunny
The Tooth Fairy
their Fairy Godmother

I expect to be paid. If no money arrives I consider the cake cancelled. I do not bake unless I have been paid. PERIOD. No ifs ands or buts. If I want to give away a cake I will but its my decision to do so - not theirs!

As for payment upfront. If they balk at it that is their problem. This is a perishable item - you can't put it back and unbake it. If you order flowers over the phone to be delivered to so and so's funeral, new baby, I love you honey flowers - Ms. Florist Lady is going to say "credit card please". Flowers will not be delivered if not paid.

Hugs to you my dear and NO CAKE for her EVER that is not paid - or for anyone you are charging for that matter. Take control of your business and get paid for your work. You are worth it!

Denise...I don't think anyone could've said that better!!!

kimmy37 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:22am
post #11 of 16

WOW!!!! Still waiting to get paid for this cake!!!! Have had every excuse ..... dad-in-law's house flooded, mom went out of town to a wedding, truck got t-boned by a semi on the night she was coming to pay me!! It's been almost 3 weeks now!! AAArrrgghhh!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:32am
post #12 of 16

that's rediculous.......you know I've always said I'll take checks and get payment when they get the cake until I get burned, so far I've been lucky and haven't had anyone stiff me on a cake...but I'm telling you if it happens ONCE that's enough!! From then on, I don't care if it's a dozen cupcakes at .75 each, money up front! Stiff me once shame on you, stiff me twice shame on me!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #13 of 16

Now this is why I require at least 50% deposit via PayPal before I even confirm an order.

Here is an example of an e-mail I sent out just last night:

Yes, I can do smaller than a 9", but the 9" is my standard size - and a better deal for the money. It's not as cost effective for me to bake in smaller quantities, so the cost per serving is increased - however, if you do not need that much cake, I would be happy to give you a quote for a smaller size - just let me know how many people you need to serve. The base price for a 9" buttercream cake is $40 - to have the cake decorated as a party cake instead of a dessert cake, there is an additional $5 charge (the cake design you referenced would fall within that $5 design charge). If you would like to place an order, you would need to do so 72 hours in advance of pick-up or delivery to avoid the rush charge ($5 or 10%, whichever is greater) As stated earlier, I do require a 50% deposit and no order is considered booked until a deposit is received. I am booked for Sunday and have limited availability this Saturday, so please let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Brandi

_____

She ordered two cakes (a 9" for this weekend, and a 6" & 9" for next weekend) and paid the entire amount of $175 first thing this morning. 9 times out of 10, they just pay the entire amount instead of just the deposit.

If I were you, I'd just write off the cake as a loss and not bother her anymore. Stressing about it isn't making her pay you - and just adds to your frustration. I know it sucks - but chalk up to experience and don't make that mistake again. That way, if she actually does send a check, it'll be like Christmas. icon_smile.gif

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:43am
post #14 of 16

I have read over and over about this and 9 out of 10 times everyone I've seen in the situation makes the cake and then waits for the money.

I've recently been given the same situation. There was a pretty lengthly thread about it. I actually made the decision and got blasted by some to not do the cake. It was a wedding cake and the planer "put the check in the mail" well at almost three weeks out I still have never received that check that was "put in the mail". So I'm very happy with the decision I made. It sure was an eye opener as well as a very good business lesson learned.

If she lives that close to you then I would contact her and tell her you are coming by for your payment which is to be made in cash. If she says anything about the check being in the mail, nicely tell her you haven't received it so she had better put a stop payment on it. If she bawks anymore tell her you have been more then kind in the amount of time you have GIVEN her and that if you don't receive payment by such and such date you will be forced to go file for a warrant in debt. Filing for that is done with your county court house - it's a small claims type of thing. Letting her know you mean business should wake her up a bit. If worse comes to worse go file - you've got the right to. You had an agreement you kept your part of the agreement and she did not. You are out material and time. AKA Money!

You can also offer to take credit cared. Do it through paypal and make sure to add an additional 5% to the total of the bill that is owed to cover your fee's for paypal and nicely explain that your terms are due upon receipt not net 30 or net 45 or net 60!

Good Luck and keep us informed!

kimmy37 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:32pm
post #15 of 16

Thanx everyone.... how frustrating!!!
I should've known this would happen. We used to work together. The other girls and I were always amazed at the excuses she would come up with not to work.... I can't remember her ever finishing a full week!
Brandi... I think i'm taking your advice and I'm just going to let the $ go. I've done many cakes for her and her family.... so, I just won't, ever again.... or maybe if I deal with them directly, I'll get full payment at least 30 days before. Aarrrghhh! I was thinking that if I do get my money for this one, that a few days later I'd send a message saying that her original check arrived in the mail, so I just tore it up for her. icon_smile.gif ... I'm sure she'd be confused since I'm sure the check is still in her checkbook! icon_evil.gif

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:31pm
post #16 of 16

Oh Kimmy I love that one , calling her up ...haha

I wonder if I should do that with mine since it's what 3-4 weeks and the check never came....haha that would be WAY too funny.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%