Transport A Stacked Cake

Decorating By Lisa521 Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 10:49pm by Lisa521

Lisa521 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:18am
post #1 of 7

I'm new to this forum. i need help. I made my first stacked cake recently. I don't know the proper way of transporting cakes liken this. i actually got a cardboard box and CAREFULLY put the cake into the box and I sat in the back seat holding the cake box whle my husband drove to it's destination ! That was very STRESSFUL ! There's gotta be a better way of doing this. I'm open for suggestions !
Thanks, Lisa

6 replies
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:23am
post #2 of 7

HOlding a cake is actually worse than placing it on a flat surface. When the driver makes the turns, the cake-holder tends to overcompensate. Place some thick towels, egg-carton foam, or a big blanket in the back of your car, then set the box/cake on that. It will actually 'sink' into the soft padding of whatever material you're using and help hold it in place.

I also put some no-skid material in the bottom of the cake boxes and the cake sits on that when in the box, too.

Did you run a dowel down the center of the cake? I just started doing this about a year ago and it works just like everyone on CC says it does! I couldn't imagine how just a stick down a cake could really help, but man, it does!!

But no matter what you do or how long you've been doing this, we still stress a little during delivery! thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:26am
post #3 of 7

I like the trunk, nice and flat.

debster Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:30am
post #4 of 7

I agree with indydebi, I to learned here about the dowel down the center. Works wonders. Just place it in a flat trunk with nonskid shelf liner or in a van. I just sharpened the end of the dowel in the pencil sharpener and voila, down it goes.

heatherlikesfood Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #5 of 7

I do really like the no-slip liners as well. Cake delivery will always be stressful no matter how much you do. icon_smile.gif

annacakes Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:28am
post #6 of 7

Delivering cakes is always a little scary. Do like IndyDebi says and centre dowel the cake. Never put the cake on the seat - always flat on the floor or trunk or back of the vehicle. And the padding helps too.

Lisa521 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your advise. Next time, I will do just that. Question you ever make a stacked cake to where you have to hold them in place by straps/bungie cords ?? What about a 3+ tiered-stacked one ? It's hard to believe that only a dowel rod through the middle can really support a tall cake.w/o falling over.. the one I had to do recently..(This was my first stacked cake I ever did!)
thanks, Lisa from DE.

Quote by @%username% on %date%