First Wedding Cake And Have To Travel Need Help!

Decorating By Smiller94 Updated 9 Jun 2008 , 5:03am by sparklynne

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 6

Hi guys,

After 6 months of cake decorating I have gotten my first wedding cake order which is due Next weekend. Itâs for family the cake is a 6, 8, 10, 12 tiered cake on pillars.

I took the cake order thinking the wedding was going to be close by because this is where the Bride lives. This week though I was notified after getting the wedding invitation that the wedding is going to be 350 miles away. AGHHH! First wedding cake and now I have to worry about traveling and Texas heat in June.

The wedding cake is going to be WASC w/ strawberry filling and buttercream icing.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the wedding being 350 miles away what is the best way to transport the cake?

I was thinking off baking on Thursday, covering the cakes and then transporting them un-iced in cake boxes on Friday. Friday evening Ice, torte and fill the cakes. On Saturday decorate, with the Wedding being on Sunday.

I am not sure if this is the best way to handle is cake with such a long distance involved.

Please any help or advice, I am totally nervous.

Thanks!
Shantelle

5 replies
tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 6

I have done wedding cakes in different states before and this is what I do. I bake the cakes and the day before I leave and wrap them in saran wrap and place them in a rubbermaid container. I mix up my fillings and buttercream and put them in a cooler with freezer packs. I then box up everything I will need, and then some, and off I go. I decorate the entire cake the night before the wedding, on site, and put in the coolers at the reception site. I have not had a problem so far!

Best of luck to you!

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 6

hmmm, all i can say is that if i was you, i'd start making lists NOW....if you are anything like me, you'll mentally prepare that cake a thousand times in your head...and the night before you won't be able to sleep...

whereabouts in texas? i'm here, but central....maybe a buddy from cakecentral in the event you need help? supplies, etc.?

best of luck!
sally

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:29am
post #4 of 6

Holy s***. I really hope you are charging her for this "tiny little change of plans".

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:01am
post #5 of 6

tlreetz
Great advice! Thanks alot i will do exactly what you have done!

MadPhoeMom, I live 50 miles south of Houston but the wedding is going to be in the Dallas area. For the last 3 weeks this wedding cake is all Ican think about. I am so nervous, even though I shouldnt be. Knowing I have to travel with the cakes and do everything there without my kitchen.

As for charging yall are going to think I am nuts and have lost my mind. When I first agreed to doing the cake I told the bride my cousin the price was going to be 450.00, she agreed. She called last weekend almost in tears from my Mom house and said she had to cancel the cake order because they couldn't afford it. I said ok, I was done with it. Few mins after she left my Mom called and said she still wanted me to do the cake and she was going to pay for it. I was like Mom no way. She kept insisting to pay the full price. At this point I still did not know I would have to travel. So I told my Mom no way i can charge you 450.00 so just cover the cost of making the cake. Now we have to travel 350 miles and still do the cake.

Call me stupid!

Crazy ain't I? icon_smile.gif

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 5:03am
post #6 of 6

Holy Smokes! I hope you are not planning on getting her a gift after this! You're making her a very expensive gift and then some! icon_eek.gif Honestly in lieu of the situation I think I would have reconfigured the cake a bit with mom or with the bride and said that in light of the situation maybe you should do a two tier ( their little topper cake and a little larger cake in the decor they initially were expecting) then made up sheet cakes or 1/2 sheets for cake service. This way she got her wedding cake for the traditional look and perhaps a easier way to approach the whole cake thing. Just a thought! Lucky Bride! Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%