Taking A Break For The Summer?? Long

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 4:37pm by Kate714

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 31

Hi all,
So with the temperature close to 100 degrees today, I have been seriously contemplating taking a break from making cakes for the summer. I make cakes out of my home, mostly for friends and family. However, with no central air in my house, it never gets cool enough when it's this hot...having the oven on during this time is awful, and I can't get my BC to smooth for the life of me!! icon_mad.gif I just end up swearing at my cake or my husband icon_lol.gif I told him I was thinking about taking a break for the summer and he was all for it, since he thinks I do too many cakes as it is (about 2-3 a week, on top of taking care of the kids all day and working five nights a week at my regular job). What do you think? Will people understand, and will they come back to me in the fall when it gets cooler? My husband has offered to clean a space for me in our partially-finished basement, where it's cooler, and that's where I decorated this weekend. I just dread turning our big oven on all summer long!!

What do you think? TIA!!

30 replies
Kate714 Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 31

Really?? No one can feel my pain!??

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 31

Okay - so I just posted to this and when I submitted my response I got an error :O

I agree with you -- there is no way I would make cakes if I didn't have central air! I used to live in a house without any and I was miserable just trying to cook dinner!

I think that people will understand -- they may not like it because they love your yummy cakes, but I am sure that they will come back in the Fall!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #4 of 31

A summer break can be good as long as it's for the right reason and no a/c can be that!
So DH is gonna make a space in the basement? can that be your summer place and still have you make cakes?
Are you ok without the money if you don't?
Are your customers long standing who will miss you but, come back is only one that you can answer.

Good luck

Kate714 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 12:02am
post #5 of 31

Thanks, Karen! I've been getting that error message too icon_confused.gif

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 12:25am
post #6 of 31

Do it!!!! You will be happy you did. Sometimes we just need a break you know! If they really want a cake tell them to bake it and bring it to you and you will decorate it for themicon_smile.gif Hahaha!!! Enjoy your summer!

Kate714 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 12:28am
post #7 of 31

I love that!! icon_lol.gif The money is just "extra" for me (of course, money I have started to rely on a bit!), so I could do without for a few months...and I know there is no way of knowing whether people will come back to me...I just have visions of sitting out on my deck on a Friday night, drinking wine...rather than slaving over a cake in my hot kitchen!! icon_rolleyes.gif

joesmom583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joesmom583 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 12:34am
post #8 of 31

I also live in CT and don't have central air and what I do in the spring/summer is bake later at night, after 8 or 9. I also used to work nights and I would plan to do all of my upcoming cakes on my nights off and then freeze them.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:05am
post #9 of 31

I don't have central air either and just made two big ol' sheet cakes in 100 degree weather.......I got my DH to help me carry in a window unit but it never got below 85 in here I swear. My bc was melting and I had to add more pow, sugar to make it stiffen up some it was horrible. One of the cakes was a double layer full sheet with raspberry filling, I was literally praying that it wouldn't just all ooze and fall apart because it was soooooo warm in here!!! I totally feel your pain and have no idea what I"m going to do if it continues to be THIS hot !!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:11am
post #10 of 31

This might sound stupid but... why don't you save your profits and buy ac? We got it installed (I never use it though icon_smile.gif ) for around $2000. I'm saving all of my current profits for an Electrolux stove. This way, I don't have to pay taxes on it because I'm putting it back into the business. Just a thought.

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:11am
post #11 of 31

Kate714, I completely understand! I always stop making cakes at the end of May. I don't start back up until the end of September. I hate Texas summers. My a/c is old and I just don't see heating up my house any more than it already is.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:19am
post #12 of 31

Can you put a stove/oven in the basement? That will keep the heat downstairs and might help with the house temp for you?

Kate714 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by twooten173

This might sound stupid but... why don't you save your profits and buy ac? We got it installed (I never use it though icon_smile.gif ) for around $2000. I'm saving all of my current profits for an Electrolux stove. This way, I don't have to pay taxes on it because I'm putting it back into the business. Just a thought.

Great idea - but HOW did you get it installed that cheaply?? !!! We got a quote for central air in our old house, which was small at 1600 square feet, and the duct work was already done - the quote was over $4500! Now our current house is 2300 square feet...I don't even want to go there.... icon_cry.gif

Kate714 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:21am
post #14 of 31

Oven in the basement...nice idea! KHalstead...I remember that happening all summer last year...I don't want a repeat!! icon_cry.gif UGH...I feel your pain...

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 31

You lie!!! The heated/cooled portion of our house is 1700SF. They plopped a unit next to our house, ran some duct through the garage and viola. My neighbor just had his installed last year and he paid $1600 - smaller house. You can have mine icon_smile.gif

Kate714 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #16 of 31

WOW!! No, I'm serious! I actually got three quotes and they were all in that range. Maybe because they didn't put your duct work throughout the house?? Then again, I live in CT...everything's expensive here icon_rolleyes.gif

Kate714 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:42am
post #17 of 31

okay, so I sent out an email and told everyone I was taking a break through August. I told them if they already talked to me about a cake or booked one, I would fill their order, and I do have several already booked...so this is really just putting a stop to taking any more orders than I already have. I've received several responses from friends saying they don't blame me!! My husband is so excited we might get to hang out on a Friday night!! icon_wink.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:18am
post #18 of 31

I was thinking the same thing after my disaster last Friday night. Our central air broke and the fondant just MELTED!!!! I posted in Disasters.

I don't know how I could do anything without ac. Luckily it is fixed now, I have a few booked for the summer already and I may do the same thing and just not take any more orders. If anyone calls to ask I will just say I am already booked, then maybe they will think I am sooo popular that no one will call for last minute cakes ever again!! Muuwaahahahahaha!!! *laughing deliriously*

Kate714 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:21am
post #19 of 31

SweetResults - that's what I did when a new person called me tonight for a cake. I just said I was already booked for her date and said I "scale back" my cakes in the summer...without telling her "no way, lady!" icon_lol.gif

I didn't see your fondant melting disaster....UGH....I had a cake "implode" after it sat out in the heat for eight hours Saturday apparently! icon_eek.gif

SweetResults Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:38am
post #20 of 31

Doesn't it just break your heart? All that hard work? LOVE New England, but boy this 60 to 90 degree stuff is crazy!

Kate714 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:42am
post #21 of 31

I know - my kids (2 and 4) don't get it...one day I'm telling them they need a light coat and the next I'm annoyed that my son wants to wear clothes while he naps! icon_lol.gif

SweetResults Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #22 of 31

LOL!! Oh boy do I understand THAT one! My 6 year old wanted the biggest heaviest blanket in the house on him tonight - even with the ac on his room is still 80 degrees! icon_biggrin.gif

Kate714 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:47am
post #23 of 31

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif We compromised on the big heavy blanket that my son wants in this heat...we folded it up and put it on his pillow for him icon_wink.gif

SweetResults Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:49am
post #24 of 31

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Ewww! Sweaty little boy head in the morning - LOVE that! LOL! My little guy will be soaked!

Kate714 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:52am
post #25 of 31

oh, he wakes up soaked!! icon_lol.gif Kids are funny, aren't they?! Enjoy this (hopefully) last day of extreme heat tomorrow!

SweetResults Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:58am
post #26 of 31

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Ewww! Sweaty little boy head in the morning - LOVE that! LOL! My little guy will be soaked!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:21am
post #27 of 31

There is a place where people dont have ac?!?!?!?!

Just kidding, I am not that dumb lol, but living in Texas I dont know how I would live. It was in the mid 90's here this weekend and I baked, just put down the air condition and went to work. I cant imagine having to do cakes in as hot as an environment as you are talking about! Whatever you choose to do I wish you the best, but dont give it up forever your cakes are great!

~ALicia

Kate714 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:07pm
post #28 of 31

Thanks Alicia - yes, there are places w/out AC!! icon_wink.gif It's crazy living up here....freezing one day, boiling the next!

I just tried making a tiara out of chocolate...didn't work out so well!! icon_rolleyes.gif

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm
post #29 of 31

I live in HOTlanta, and trust me, it gets hot! Even with AC, when I make cakes it gets into the 80s in my kitchen. Sometimes my AC freezes up from working too hard!

What about oscillating fans or even box fans? We use those to help cool the place down, works like a charm.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:12pm
post #30 of 31

I'm taking it a little easy this summer. I make cakes to pay for my son's preschool, and since school is out, I can slack off. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%