Help Please!

Decorating By maude Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 10:30am by maude

maude Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 7

I have a wedding cake to do and the bride wants a very dark red for the roses. I have put about half a bottle of red red and some burgundy color and it is still not red enough. What to do?

6 replies
charlieinMO Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 7

Sometimes if you let it set a little while it will darken up. Maybe as an experiement with just a little bit of icing you could ad the color across from red in the color wheel or the color next to it. (green across and purple next to it) I remember doing this in art class. Cant hurt to try but don't try on your whole batch. Good luck

sparklynne Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:27am
post #3 of 7

Hi Maude,
My first question is what medium are making your roses out of? Buttercream, gumpaste etc. I have had the same problem with my gumpaste roses and have found that even when I have attempted tinting buttercream it can be a real nightmare trying to get it really dark. I have come to find out that the powdered food coloring works pretty great for getting both pretty dark. I even add a tad bit of black to get them really good and dark. With the gumpaste I color the gumpaste dark red and of course as it dries it lightens up but then I take some of the powder mixed with a little vodka and brush them lightly and they come out pretty darn good. I hope this helps you out a little. Watch how much liquid color you use as it can change the consistency of the buttercream because it has a water base. Also have to watch how much burgundy you use sometimes because as the color starts to develop the longer the frosting relaxes it can sometimes pull a lot of purple and then you are right back at the drawing board.
Good Luck

maude Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:02am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the help. I am using royal icing. I am going to have to start over because the burgundy did give it a purple hue. I have'nt tried the powdered color or adding black. I will practice on a small amount and see if I can get it right. Thanks again

azureblu Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:22am
post #5 of 7

What brand of food colors are you using? For my royal icing I pretty much stick to powered ones or Chefmaster liquid paste. Ck makes a supper red that is really red. You really don't need much, but you do need to let it set up. It gets darker as it sets. The gels have to much water for royal. Azure

minorfan Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:40am
post #6 of 7

Trying to make dark red, start out adding yellow to the white - mix and let it sit for an hour - then add orange mix and let sit 20 minutes, then add red - twice and let sit 20 minutes.

If you are trying to add red to white it will never make it dark enough - you need to build it up from another base color.

maude Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:30am
post #7 of 7

Thank you guys so much for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%