Used Mmf Recipe For First Time.....dried Out And Crumbled!!!

Baking By ncunnin1 Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 6:25am by Shamitha

ncunnin1 Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, I worked with fondant for the very first time this weekend for a baby shower cake. (You can see the cake in my photos; it is the crying baby). I used the MMF recipe and followed the directions. I made it the night before and wraped it tightly so no air could get to it. The next morning I kneaded it so I could work with and colored it. When I started rolling it out, it started to get dry and crumbly. I was lucky to get the first cake layer covered, but when I started rolling it out again for the second layer, it was just a disaster. It wouldn't stay together at all. So, I worked in some shortening to help make it easier to work with. That made it WORSE! So, I called a local cake store and they gave me a tip to add more powdered sugar to get it back to the "play dough" consistency. (Weird, you would think that would make it even more dryer). That actually worked, but it still wasn't right. So, I melted some more marshmellows and kneaded that in, and luckily I was able to roll it out and work with it. But, the edges still cracked when I put it on the cake. (Also, I used corn starch to roll it out. I think that may have dried it out)

Does anyone have any tips on what I did wrong or what I should do in the future? I'm scared to use MMF again, but it did taste good. I'm tempted to try a different recipe....any recommended recipes to try? icon_confused.gif

2 replies
banba Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:31am
post #2 of 3

the only thing that I have found to help make mmf really easy to work with is to add a few drops of glycerin when I am melting the mm and also not to let the mm overheat. I also grease my hands when I am kneading it just before I wrap.

Shamitha Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:25am
post #3 of 3

When I make mmf, I don't use up all of the powdered sugar. I keep adding the sugar until it starts to cling together. That's when I wrap it. I also add 1tsp glycerine to the marshmellows before microwaving. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%