Bar Codes

Business By GeminiRJ Updated 9 Jun 2008 , 12:38pm by Mike1394

GeminiRJ Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 12

Do any of you sell products that you have created that require bar codes? I'm wondering if I need one to sell my cookie cutter kits. Maybe that's only if I sell wholesale to someone who plans to sell them retail? I woke up in the middle of the night thinking what an idiot I am for not thinking of this sooner. Is it a painful process to get the bar code? I would appreciate any adivce on this!

11 replies
BigTexinWV Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 12

Not an expert on this, but I would assume that if a retail store wanted a bar code on a product then they normally have the equipment for it. I was a manager a Target for a short stint, and we had a computer program they we could use to make barcodes to enter in to the system then print them off. I really don't think that it would be very difficult to buy a computer program to make barcodes if that was what you really wanted to do.

southerncake Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 12

In NC, you can request barcodes from the Dept of Ag. I very seriously doubt if you will need them. If you sell to a shop that uses them, they probably already have the means to create their own barcode. I don't think you have anything to worry about!

FromScratch Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:48am
post #4 of 12

A lot of cake shops don't have barcodes on their merchandise, or if there are barcodes.. they don't use them. I know my local cake store doesn't have a scanner they just type the amount in the register. They will re-label it with their own system so I wouldn't worry about it.

Mike1394 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 8:46am
post #5 of 12

If you need a barcode you have bigger worries than just a barcode. It's a good worry though icon_biggrin.gif . A customer isn't going to want a barcode for 10 cutters. They will want one for 1000 though. Can you produce that many?

Mike

southerncake Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 11:33am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

If you need a barcode you have bigger worries than just a barcode. It's a good worry though icon_biggrin.gif . A customer isn't going to want a barcode for 10 cutters. They will want one for 1000 though. Can you produce that many?

Mike

She has lots of them!!!!

GeminiRJ Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 11:51am
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the reassurances! And yes, I have lots of cutters! My basement is getting a bit crowded with not only the cutters, but the packaging as well.

On another note...is anyone having problems with CC today? We had severe weather over the weekend and it played havoc with cable service, so maybe it's a local thing. I've tried to post here and keep getting told it doesn't exist. Or I keep getting an advertisement for on-line security of some sort. ???

Linliv46 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 11:58am
post #8 of 12

I also had the security thing this morning!

Linda

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 12:07pm
post #9 of 12

I'm getting the security message, too! It's coming from this company.

Halifax plc, Registered in England No.2367076. Registered Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 2RG

Oh, well, they did say they would be working on this for a few days.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Curtsmin24 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 12

phew I thought somebody had hacked into my computer!!! At least it's not just me. I refreshed the page and that seems to work for now.

Curtsmin24 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 12:32pm
post #11 of 12

phew I thought somebody had hacked into my computer!!! At least it's not just me. I refreshed the page and that seems to work for now.

Mike1394 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 12:38pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I'm getting the security message, too! It's coming from this company.

Halifax plc, Registered in England No.2367076. Registered Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 2RG

Oh, well, they did say they would be working on this for a few days.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Me too icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%