My First Grooms/wedding Cake - Honest Feedback Plz

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm by mazz

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:41pm
post #31 of 44

Hmmmm I think 4 weeks ago I was hunkered down working on the CC throwdown cake!! I wish I would have seen the thread.

Here is how i did the hearts on the side. I printed them out, just like you did. I layed wax paper over the print and drew the pattern.

I rolled out the fondant on wax paper, then laid the patterned wax paper over that. I made pin pricks around the pattern every 1/8th of an inch. Using an exacto knife, I cut the fondant along the pin pricks. Then Carefully pick up the all of the fondant around the cut hearts. You have to leave the hearts in place on the wax paper until firmed. Use a ball tool to smooth the edges of your entwined hearts and allow them to set until they are firmed up. then you peel the wax paper off the back and apply with fresh buttercream to the cake.

If I had been applying these to a round cake, I would have set the cut hearts ( still attached to the wax paper ) over the side of a round cake dummy until firm, the peel the paper off the back.

Did ANY of that make sense? icon_confused.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #32 of 44

Thanks Jacque! That sure did make sense. Of course when you were explaining it, I was like...oh duh! Now why couldn't I have figured that out? For some reason I didn't think you let the fondant firm up and I was trying to apply it "fresh". I can totally do that next time.

BTW, how did your throwdown go?

tatetart Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:55pm
post #33 of 44

You have NO idea how many fondant patterns i picked up and ruined before it dawned on me that I had to let them firm up first! LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, here is the Throwdown Link:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588356-couturiere.html

Trixyinaz Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:56pm
post #34 of 44

Thanks Jacque! That is an awesome cake. I looked at it when it was first posted and voted for your, not even knowing who you were. I love the lace and all those flowers and the birds. AMAZING!!!!! The other decorator did a great job too. I'll have to watch the next one when it comes out. How often do they have them?

tatetart Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:17pm
post #35 of 44

Thank you Vicki!

I believe they are every month or every other month.

Trixyinaz Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:49pm
post #36 of 44

thanks!

sweetdesignsbyla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdesignsbyla Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #37 of 44

icon_biggrin.gif GREAT JOB, very clean and well put together icon_smile.gif

rdiesing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdiesing Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #38 of 44

Nice cake! I was at this wedding. My husband was the best man! LOL

Your cake turned out soooo much better than the Mario cake! I didn't have a chance to taste yours, unfortunately.

Trixyinaz Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:21pm
post #39 of 44

OMG! The bride and I were just talking about 2 hours ago and she was telling me that she found out that the Best Man's wife does cakes and that she was going to hook us up so we could talk cakes icon_lol.gif When I opened this, I nearly hit the floor. icon_lol.gif What a freakin' small world. I just ran over to her and had to tell her (we work together). She was cracking up!

Anyway, thanks for the nice compliment. I'm sorry you didn't get to taste mine. I was hoping for some honest feedback. My husband and neighbors loved the cake (they ate the cake tops after I leveled them), but I wanted opinions of people I didn't know, KWIM?

I thought the other cake was cute, but when she showed me the cake that they wanted, I can see why they was disappointed.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #40 of 44

was there a pic for inspiration for the Mario cake-or do you have a pic of that one? i'd love to see it-i'm thinking of doing a mario themed cake for my son's 10th bday (not until jan but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead lol)? just curious to see-your cake turned out beautifuly btw can't wait to see more and good luck!

rdiesing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdiesing Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #41 of 44

Her husband showed me a picture of the cake they gave to the baker. It was fondant, I think, but much brighter colors. I was a little disappointed to see that J and D's cake wasn't as bright.

Oh, gosh, I am just doing cakes for fun right now. I'm self taught, but am taking the wilton classes to learn proper "technique". A few shower and birthday cakes for friends here and there.

Trixyinaz Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #42 of 44

I can't find the exact picture that she gave her baker, but if you do a search on google under images for "mario brothers cake", you will find lots of pics for inspiration.

And thank you for the nice compliment.

webbiedeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webbiedeb Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:22pm
post #43 of 44

Great Cake. You did a wonderful job

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm
post #44 of 44

You did a great job. Just curious do you have a picture of the wedding Mario Cake? I would like to see what they wanted for their wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%