My First Grooms/wedding Cake - Honest Feedback Plz

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm by mazz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 44

Here it is. My first official Grooms Cake. The bride and groom are big gamers (Super Mario Brother's) so the theme of their wedding is Super Mario Bros. Their actual wedding cake is being made by another baker and she is doing it as Super Mario Bros. World. She showed me a picture of what it is going to look like and it is actually really cool looking. So anyway, everyone keeps asking her if that is the grooms cake. So, they decided to have a grooms cake and asked me to do it. However, this is not your typical grooms cake. They thought it would be funny to have the grooms cake look like an actual wedding cake. So in essence, this is my first wedding cake. She showed me a picture of 2 tier square cake with hearts (green colors) and asked if I could do something like it, but red instead of green with 3 round tiers instead of the 2 square tiers. Her serving set has double locking hearts so I took that and made it to match her serving set. Here it is (sorry for the picture in the fridge...had to capture it just in case I dropped it in transport...LOL)

I have to deliver it in about 3 hours....phew. It's done! I'll be missing the ceremony while I set up, but I think my cousin will be happy with the end results.
LL

43 replies
jmabaxter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmabaxter Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 44

I think it's very pretty!!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 44

It's really lovely-you did a wonderful job!

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 44

omg that is so beautiful!

ugetsnun2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ugetsnun2 Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 44

You did a fantastic job. The locking hearts are beautiful!

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:48am
post #6 of 44

Very nice. Smooth, even, just a great job.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:42am
post #7 of 44

Great job! thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 44

Thanks guys! I appreciate your comments.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 44

Very pretty, congratulations!!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 44

icon_wink.gif

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 44

Beautiful!!!! Awesome job!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Kaiah723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaiah723 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:04pm
post #12 of 44

That is a beautiful cake! I absolutely love it, you did a great job! icon_biggrin.gif

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #13 of 44

great job - i want to eat it!

jen2184 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen2184 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #14 of 44

the cake looks really beautiful.. congrats! icon_biggrin.gif

TabbyKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbyKakes Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 44

That's your first?! icon_eek.gif Gorgeous!! I Love those interlocking hearts!

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:19pm
post #16 of 44

I love it... great job for a first timer!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:47pm
post #17 of 44

What a fun idea to swap the Wedding & Groom's cakes....you did a wonderful job, hon! icon_biggrin.gif

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:54pm
post #18 of 44

Go right ahead and keep on tooting. Really nice cake.

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:53am
post #19 of 44

great job - sides are smooth and your piping is even! Congratulations on your first!

Trixyinaz Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:14pm
post #20 of 44

Wow, thanks for all the nice compliments. To get my sides really smooth, I use the paper towel method. Works great. As for the piping, that was hard. I struggled with how to do the hearts on the side of the cake. I literally had to sleep on it. I took the heart pattern that, laid some wax paper of it and then poked holes through it to make my pattern. Then I took the wax paper and put it up against the cake and followed the outline with a toothpick poking holes and making a pattern on the cake. Then I piped over that. Would there have been an easier way? I'm new to all this (started decorating in March) so any tips would be great!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm
post #21 of 44

I love the cake. I don't see a single thing I would change. As for the pin-prick method, it is probably the best for the design. Great job!

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #22 of 44

Simply beautiful. The hearts look great and I didn't even realize it was in the fridge until you pointed it out......Lol.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:48pm
post #23 of 44

Trixy! That cake is beautiful! Great Job thumbs_up.gif

You'll be a pro in no time! I can't believe that you just started decorating in March, WOW!

How did everyone like it?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:48pm
post #24 of 44

Trixy! That cake is beautiful! Great Job thumbs_up.gif

You'll be a pro in no time! I can't believe that you just started decorating in March, WOW!

How did everyone like it?

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:53pm
post #25 of 44

What a great job you did! It's beautiful! icon_smile.gif

Sandi

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #26 of 44

First of all, let me say that you did a Phenomenal job on your first "Wedding/Grooms" cake. You did a wonderful job on the cake, the decorating and the topper!! BRAVO!

I was so traumatized by my first wedding cake, that I vowed I would never make a wedding cake EVER again! just TOO MUCH WORK!!

Never say never...

While you were describing the cake the bride saw, but she wanted red instead of green and round instead of square, and 3 tiers instead of 2...something began to sound very familiar... just wondering... did this happen to be the inspiration cake? LOL!
LL

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:17pm
post #27 of 44

Gorgeous! You go girl!

Trixyinaz Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #28 of 44

Cupcakemaker - :blushing: Thanks! I was a guest at the wedding so I was able to stick around and talk to the bride and groom. When I went up to ask if they wanted me to start cutting the cakes, they both said they loved how my cake turned out way better than the Mario Bros. one. Then when I spoke to the bride yesterday, she said everyone kept saying how they liked my cake vs. the other one. It made me feel good. I just want more orders....hehehehe

couturiere - LOL...that is the cake that she asked if I could do with all the modifications. Is it yours? She said the hearts on that cake were the closest she could find to the hearts on her serving set. She gave me a link to her set and I just blew up the hearts and made my topper off of it so it was an almost perfect match. Same for the hearts on the side of the cake.

I hope I can be a pro some day --- as good as all of you guys. You ladies and gents give me so much hope, not to mention all the advise, constructive critisism and inspiration I need for each new cake I do. It certainly has been a fun 3 months of learning and I look forward to continuing this journey and learning so much more.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:01pm
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

couturiere - LOL...that is the cake that she asked if I could do with all the modifications. Is it yours? She said the hearts on that cake were the closest she could find to the hearts on her serving set. She gave me a link to her set and I just blew up the hearts and made my topper off of it so it was an almost perfect match. Same for the hearts on the side of the cake.

You did a great job!!! When I read the description, I thought it sounded very familiar icon_wink.gif , but for the life of me couldn't figure out where she would have seen it icon_confused.gif , so I google entwined hearts cakes...and there it was icon_lol.gif ! Who knew??...and I am very honored that this was the cake used to inspire your beautiful cake!! thumbs_up.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:14pm
post #30 of 44

YAY! I have the decorator to place with the cake that I had to try and match/use for inspiration. icon_lol.gif I can't wait to tell Jennifer (the bride). She'll totally crack up.

I love your cake. I know my hearts were different, but I don't think they look as nice or as "polished" as yours. Your's looks so professional - as it should - you are so accomplished. I was just hoping for a more professional look to mine.

How did you do the hearts on the side? I had a thread going with a picture of your cake asking tons of questions and "how to's" And to think the original artist was here all along. Where were you 4 weeks ago when i got this order and was stressing out to the gill? :LOL: I tried cutting out fondant and putting it on the side of the cake, but it looked terrible and I couldn't get the hearts to keep their original shape. I had never worked with fondant before (except for some flowers and numbers that I did for my mom's birthday cake just a week prior) so perhaps I was doing something wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%