Help Please...need Idea Fast..

Decorating By katwomen1up Updated 7 Jun 2008 , 6:59am by JenWhitlock

katwomen1up Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 4:55am
post #1 of 11

Okay, was going to make the book cake out ot fondant (never worked with it before) But couldn't get the fondant on right. I ripped and pulled some of the frosting. Not to mention I made one of those cute figures to go on the top of the cake. Hmmmm couldn't get the arms to stay on. So scratch that too. This was going to be one of those book cakes. Put the two pieces back together now it's a regular cake. Don't know what to do with it. Made candy clay for the 3 d cap. That's so oily I doubt it will dry. This is for my daughter in law, I wanted it to be special. I need some quick ideas that are easy. Need to find a new hobbty,I suck at this! Every time I make a cake and start decorating I swear I"m going to quit. Did I say that I tried to get on hear and my computer stopped working!
icon_cry.gif

TIA,
Kat

10 replies
servingzero Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 5:19am
post #2 of 11

First of all, don't be a defeatist! I checked out your pics, and it looks like you can certainly do this! You have some great cakes! I used to freak out any time something didn't "go as planned" so always have a plan b, and if you don't have a plan B, make one up icon_wink.gif

If you have the books stacked, then maybe you could just ice them in BC, and do a flat 2D representation of the cap, instead of the clay. (I've not worked with candy clay, so I can't reassure that it will dry etc.) you could even wait, see if it does dry, then if not, pipe on the design.

I don't know if I've helped whatsoever. I hope I have. I find that cakes go better once you learn not to stress as much about them, and be a little laissez-faire. So it goes. However, stress under the belt is a great thing to have (though you likely don't think so at the moment) as it helps you learn how to deal with stressful situations.

Can't wait to see what you come up with! good luck!

auntiecake Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 5:22am
post #3 of 11

You do great work! Don't give up, you maybe just want it to be so special and are trying too hard. Take a deep breath and try again. Did you look at the instructions of some of the book cakes on CC. Try melted chocolate to fasten the arms on. A small piece of toothpick or wire would probably work, but then it is not edible. Good Luck and maybe someone else will have better ideas to help you!

Shola Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 5:29am
post #4 of 11

Sorry to hear of your fustrations!
Although now you've put the cake back together, you have a smaller surface area and I'd really try to give fondant covering another go, it should be much easier now, then you can do a simple circles pattern with different colours of fondant, it's a simple design but really effective and pretty I think icon_smile.gif
These circles, whole and hollow is a nice look:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1187068

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1163155

Simple circles very nice:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=30464
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=4657

If you don't wanna fiddle around with a fondant border, I just piped around the edge of a fondant cake with bc and a star tip icon_smile.gif

miny Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 5:36am
post #5 of 11

Let me get this straight, so now it's a regular sheet cake?. If it is, you can make it an open school year book, just fix your BC frosting and cut letters and maybe some "pictures of people" out of fondant or try to make it a scrap book of school memories using the same fondant, make borders, stickers, etc.
I hope this helps and please don't panic, is going to be OK! icon_wink.gif

katwomen1up Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:09am
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone, I am stressed, I handle it well when I know what I'm' doing and that's not now. Servingzero yes I should always have a plan B, I will definitely have one from now on.
Shola I like the circle idea, If I can't use the cap I may just do that.
Miny, yes I can incorporate different cut outs too and yes it's back to a sheet cake
I am still trying to go for the 3D cap, have the candy clay sitting in front of a fan.

I'm done panicking, thanks again

joaaaann Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:13am
post #7 of 11

Haha Katwomen1up...I go thru those same emotions far to many times myself. I know just how you feel right now. "I hate when that happens!" Really tho... There's just so many things you could do with this cake but I know it's hard to come up with the 'right one' when you're drained and frusterated. I find that when I come to my patients end, I just throw my hands up and 'sleep on it'. I make sure my 'basics' are covered 1st tho( like all cakes baked, covered, icings made, colors mixed, fondant prepped, tips and tools easily accessible, cones/piping bags ready, station cleaned and clutter free and then 'go to sleep'. After some R&R I return to my kitchen with coffee in hand and a really good radio station turned on and I'm a new woman. My mind is clear and I can focus much better. With all that prep behind me, I can start the day off with 'creating' and not deal with all that 'labor' side tracking me so I can get done so much faster and easier.

joaaaann Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:32am
post #8 of 11

BTW...who says you need to use fondant for your cap? I'm thinking maybe an upside down cupcake or muffin and maybe a poptart ( cut to more of a sqare than the orig rectangle it is of course) or some type of moisture resistant cookie or something edible like t that... and 'cover with fondant' or icing for that matter. A tooth pic inserted down the middle will hold the poptart or 'whatever' to the cupcake and that's edible..even tastier than fondant. It would look like a grad cap. I think it could work. I haven't done it but I think It would really work. thumbs_up.gif I don't know what size you're going for..but many people will simply cover a cut out cake board and cover with fondant for added effect. That's stable too. HTH anyways. I'm goin' to bed. I've HAD IT! with this cake I'm making tonight icon_razz.gif

katwomen1up Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:32am
post #9 of 11

Auntiecake I love the idea of melting chocolate, don't know why I didn't think of that. If I have time I will try that for sure!!!

Joann, first your little saying at the end is soooo true!! And you hit the nail right on the head. I hate for anyone to go thru this but it's nice to know it not only me. Yes I think I will clean up a bit and catch a few hours and start at it again is the early morn.. This is a freeby of course but who said we were supposed to make money at this anyway!

Kat

katwomen1up Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:48am
post #10 of 11

Joann thanks I will add that to my list for when I get up in the morning. Sorry to hear you're having troubles too! I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. Hope it looks better in the morning. I'm heading for bed now too, all cleaned up.

Kat

JenWhitlock Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:59am
post #11 of 11

I'm working on a grad cake for tomorrow
and I know exactly how you feel.
stuff's not working and I keep tell my hubby that I'm not doing any more cakes!
I'm too tired to help much, I just wanted to let you know that I sympathize!

my grad cap is gumpaste, the round part I formed over one of my kids plastic bowls, I never had a whole lot of luck with candy clay.

I also have to do fireman cupcakes for tomorrow. I made a gumpaste fireman - what a pain in the rear! my figure's arms kept falling off too! I ended up using wire. and some RI, because that's what I had out. no more figures for me! (oh, and I started a while back so my perfect flesh tone gumpaste is now white as a ghost, grrrr)

just take a deep breath and start working, hopefully we will both feel better after it's done and eaten!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%