Slice Of Cake .. Can Someone Help Me

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 7 Jun 2008 , 10:51am by Homemade-Goodies

wgoat5 Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 4:38am
post #1 of 3

First of all I don't know anything about these cakes.. brand new to me..

Is it really just a slice of cake cut out ? Or do you carve from sheet cakes? I know .. I'm making this harder then it should be probably.

2. Do I cover it in one piece of fondant or pieces?

3. If I don't stack anything on top then do I need to dowell.. or dowell just to make it stable to transport?

4. Just need a small amount... 5 people .. wanted to know if I could make this out of a 9 inch round? AND still look right..

What would you do?

I want to make a Mary Englebreit design on this cake.. so it will be very detailed and I need it to be sturdy

Thanks for any help you all can offer icon_smile.gif

OHHH yes..For those that have done this.. Is this a hard cake???? Did you have any problems doing yours? What would you NOT do when doing it over?

2 replies
Doug Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 10:39am
post #2 of 3

take one roudn -- oh say 9 in.

cut it into quarters....

stack (there's the slice!)

decorate w/ fondant ---- could do as one big piece under base layer w/ decos on top (easiest for me) -- or individual pieces attached.

and since it is 4 layers -- in essence a two-tier cake -- a dowel down the middle certainly wouldn't hurt (and maybe even a shaped cake board and support dowels between layers 2 & 3 if cake is heavy)

Homemade-Goodies Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 10:51am
post #3 of 3

One lady here - can't recall who - turned hers on the side to avoid it falling. No need for a dowel in that case.

I want to try this one of these days myself...sounds cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%