What To Do...broken Ac, 100 Degrees Outside, Cake Waiting.

Decorating By ziggytarheel Updated 9 Jun 2008 , 12:25am by ziggytarheel

ziggytarheel Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, cake wizards, I need some help!

It is presently around 100 degrees and will be for the next few days. An hour ago, my AC broke. Someone had mercy on us and says they will fix it on Sunday.

However, a cake I have been working on/toward for 2 weeks is sitting on my kitchen table, just iced.

I have a FBCT in the freezer.

It is now 85 in the house, going up fast.

The cake is a grad cake for Sunday lunch for a family member.

I may soon have to evacuate. Should I go on and put the transfer on the cake, box it up, pull it out EARLY tomorrow morning and finish the borders, etc., and pop it in the fridge?

I have a problem. For the past long time, my fridge has a "leak". I think it is from the freezer. We keep a pan in the fridge to catch the water, but sometimes it misses.

Do you think if I boxed the cake and covered it in a plastic bag, it would be okay?

Help??

3 replies
peg818 Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 11:17am
post #2 of 4

well, really what choice do you have, you are going to have to refrigerate it or it won't survive. If when you put the fbc on the cake you can't get it off the waxed paper, cause of meltdown, then pop the whole thing cake and all in freezer or fridge until solid again then pull the waxed paper off.

zoraya Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 4

is there anyones house you can go to? I would be begging a neighbor to let me do the "finishing touches at their house in the AC and then put it in your fridge until tomorrow. Good luck!

ziggytarheel Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 12:25am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your replies! I couldn't get back on here after I posted that. I tried, believe me!

I smoothed the icing (my first Melvira...amazing!), placed the transfer, added the white chocolates, and stuck it in the fridge.

I put it in the freezer for a while before I had to transport it in 100 degree heat.

The red and blue bled a bit. The transfer warped a tad. But the recipient absolutely LOVED it. I didn't get to eat any, but I heard lots of absolute raves ..

So even though it wasn't what I had planned and didn't come out perfectly, it served its purpose well. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%