Wedding Cake--- In Over My Head Maybe???

Decorating By kidscakelady Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 8:50pm by ccr03

kidscakelady Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 5

So, I had told a secretary at work that I would make her some dessert cakes for her wedding (second one- first husband died years ago) in July and that I would do a small wedding cake for her. I have always said..."I don't do weddings (mostly because I told my DH that I wouldn't) She came over the other night to discuss details etc.

As we are talking, she says that now she really would like a full size wedding cake and not all of the smaller ones. We talk and I think that I can do what she wants but since I have never done a cake like this before, am now second guessing myself.

Need some advice from those who do weddings....

She wants between 150-180 servings of cake----

We decided on a 3 tiered stacked cake 16", 12", 8" I came up with 180 servings for this using Wilton's this right??

If I do this, how many dowels do you think I should put through the thing??

Should I also put the bubble straws?

I am really excited about doing this but am also SCARED to DEATH ! I think that my decorating skills have really improved (with the help of all you wonderful CC'ers) and the design she wants is really plain and simple- that doesn't scare me, it's the whole serving/stacking thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS- My DH wasn't too happy when I told him that I agreed to do it, that is until he heard how much $$$$ I was charging.

4 replies
ccr03 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 5

The 16/12/8 sounds like right combo. According to Earlene's chart, which is what I use, its enough for 155. So, combining the two it give you a 150-180 range.

Secondly, I would use Wilton's plastic dowels on the bottom layer and then the straw on the second - that's would be for my well-being.

Thirdly, I'd would hammer down a wooden dowel straight down the middle. If need be add another.

Good luck and congrats!!!

TheCakerator Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 5

I say if you feel comfortable doing it, then do it! I am working on my third, and last, wedding cake for this saturday. I have decided I don't like to do wedding cakes myself. To much pressure, I will just stick with birthday cakes. I always OVER dowel my cakes and other people will probably tell you you can use less, but if it was me making those sizes, I would cut up the wilton white plastic dowels. They are maybe an inch diameter and sold in bags of four I think and around $3.00 (might be a little more or less $$) but I don't like the thought of wood in my food. To put the 12in on top of the 16in myself I would probably have six dowels, four on the corners and two in the middle, for the 8in on top of the 12in I would have four, one on each corner. I say go for it, you have to start somewhere, right?? thumbs_up.gif

kidscakelady Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 5

Plastic dowels? Didn't know there was such a thing. Have to go to the supply store this weekend - to replenish all of my other stuff because of so many orders lately (yeah!!!) so I will check them out. DO they come long enough to dowel through the center also??? I agreee about the wood in my food thing.

ccr03 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 5

The plastic dowels are in the cake aisle of HL, Michael's, Joann's - wherever you go.

Aww, I'm against the plastic dowel as the CENTER dowel. I learned the hard, diastraous way that it didn't work for me. Basically, the CENTER dowel has to go through ALL the layer and secure itself to the bottom (cake board). I didn't do that on this one SMALL, no-brainer cake and it fell over (my driving didn't help).

If you still have time befor the wedding, Leah on here HIGHLY recommends the SPS system. I forget what it stands for, but it is supposed to be VERY good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%