My Cake Sank! Any Ideas Why?

Decorating By octopus Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 12:40am by ceshell

octopus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
octopus Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys,

i used a cupcake recipe to bake a cake. i just doubled the recipe and poured it into a football pan with a heating core in the middle. The middle sank a lot icon_sad.gif
(and the cake is quite dense while i dont think the cupcakes were meant to be)
Any ideas why the batter would sink in the middle?

the recipe:
4 1/2 tablespoons of butter, room temperature
1/2 tablespoon of bacon drippings (left in the fridge to become solid)
1 egg
5 tablespoons of brown sugar
4 tablespoons maple syrup
1 1/4 cup of self rising flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
tiny tiny pinch of kosher salt
1/4 cup of milk
1/4 cup of minced bacon, cooked and drained

3 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 4

Some recipes do not transfer well to a larger format. What size pan did you use 2" or 3"?

Some recipes need longer to bake in a larger format. So yours may really have been undercooked when you pulled it out.

Some cakes when cooled quickly will sink. Was it next to an open window?

Sometimes the baker makes a mistake and thinks they added 1/4 cup milk and may have added 1/3 cup?

Some ingredients lose their punch and breakdown when they get older. Could your milk be close to its end date?

There are a ton of variables and any of these or combo of these scenerios could have been your culprit.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:17am
post #3 of 4

Sunken middle syndrome: usually caused by under-baking or over-mixing. Are you sure you used self-rising flour?

BACON???? Are you serious??

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:40am
post #4 of 4

Bacon grease and bacon bits?! What kind of cake is it, I'm so intrigued! You need to go post in "the thinking outside of the box" (on cake flavors) thread, someone just posted about a sauerkraut cake icon_smile.gif

Meanwhile you can also find more troubleshooting tips here w*ww.b*aking911.com/cakes/problems.htm - you just have to paste that link into your address bar and DELETE the asterisks in w*ww and b*aking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%