Whacking Off My Hair - Nervous!

Lounge By AJsGirl Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 1:53pm by Ironbaker

AJsGirl Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 29

Ok, so I've decided. I'm whacking off my hair. *breathe* icon_eek.gif

My hair is all the way down to my hips, and it's all one length. It's been this long for years, but lately, for some reason, I'm starting to get tired of it. It's a pain to wash and dry, and I use up a truckload of styling products because of the length. I'm tired of sitting on it, getting it caught in doors, my kids inadvertently pulling on it, etc. It's also very hard to style, so I usually end up putting it in a clip, bun, or ponytail anyway. icon_sad.gif

BUT...I've had long hair for so long, it's become a part of my identity! I don't know what I'm going to do with short hair! So I'm pretty nervous. My hair grows ssslllllooooooooowwwwwwlllllyyyyyy so it would be hard to grow it back out if I don't like it. icon_cry.gif

Plus, I don't know what hubby is going to think. icon_rolleyes.gif

Wish me luck! I hope I don't chicken out. icon_redface.gif

28 replies
awolf24 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 29

I bet it will look GORGEOUS! I know it is hard to give up what you are so used to but I bet you will have a great updated look. And you'll feel so confident, you DH will be sure to LOVE it too! icon_smile.gif

Wanna post any before and after pics? icon_smile.gif Now you have me curious!

How "short" are you going? When are you going to do it?

AJsGirl Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 29

I'm on my work computer, so I don't have any pics. But this weekend maybe I can post some!

I haven't decided for sure how short I'm going. I'm thinking maybe right where my bra strap is. (Sorry if that's "graphic"!) But my coworkers want me to get a bob! Now that's just too much!

I'm going tonight. Hubby is going with me for "moral support". LOL icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 29

You can do it! It will be beautiful!!!! Remember to take pics. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I agree, a bob may be a bit TOO drastic.

KlyKat Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 1:03am
post #5 of 29

AJsGirl---I hope you didn't chicken out icon_lol.gif It took me about 4 months to finally get up the nerve but I finally cut 11 inches off mine. And I too have always had long hair. Just started feeling the same way as you. ALWAYS having to wear it up. So what's the use in having long hair icon_confused.gif

Anyway, I LOVE IT!!!!! It's above my shoulders and so simple to keep. About 5 minutes to blow dry and that's it icon_eek.gif I couldn't believe it!!!! K'ly

Tramski Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 3:42am
post #6 of 29

You can always donate it for locks for love. I did that once when I went from long to 12" shorter and it made it easier because I was also doing it for a good cause

KlyKat Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 11:21am
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramski

You can always donate it for locks for love. I did that once when I went from long to 12" shorter and it made it easier because I was also doing it for a good cause

Yeap, forgot to add that's what I did, duh icon_razz.gif K'ly

KatieTaylor77 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #8 of 29

I have really long hair as well . . . I tend to spend a few years growing it out and then chopping it all off on a spur of the moment thing.

I'd recommend cutting it simply because at that length . . . well, its just too long. The length weighs your hair down and IMO its not the most flattering style.

Have the leave your hair at least at the middle of your back . . . . and cut some really nice layers into it. Youll find it much easier to care for and the change will be drastic, but not so dramatic as a bob.

And definitely donate to locks of love it you plan to cut enough off. I'm cutting my hair again after my wedding in Nov . . . and I'm planning on sending it all to locks of love. Good luck! Post pictures if you get a chance.

AJsGirl Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 29

OK, I did it! I haven't developed the pics my hubby took yet, but I hope to have them up soon.

I cut 10 inches off in the back, and with the layering and angle-cut to the face, they cut as much as 14 off inches in some places. But I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I wish I had done it sooner! I was in and out of the shower in 10 minutes this morning, and it only took 45 minutes to dry! It got body and bounce back to it, it was so lifeless before. Yippee! icon_biggrin.gif

I tried to donate it to Locks of Love, but because I have dyed it in the past, they said I couldn't. icon_sad.gif I didn't know that!

Some people haven't even recognized me today, LOL. And hubby loves it, says it's very flattering. icon_wink.gif

michellenj Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 29

Isn't that a great feeling? A few years ago I went from waist length to a bob, and the bob wasn't short enough for me, so I went to chin length. That first day was so funny. I reached around with a humongous glob of shampoo in my hand, and nothing was there!

Good for you. Enjoy it!

lilacc01 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 29

Adding shape with layers can make a world of difference! Good for you! "Bra-strap length" is still very long, I bet your hair is to be envied!

KlyKat Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:44am
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsGirl

OK, I did it! I haven't developed the pics my hubby took yet, but I hope to have them up soon.

I cut 10 inches off in the back, and with the layering and angle-cut to the face, they cut as much as 14 off inches in some places. But I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I wish I had done it sooner! I was in and out of the shower in 10 minutes this morning, and it only took 45 minutes to dry! It got body and bounce back to it, it was so lifeless before. Yippee! icon_biggrin.gif

I tried to donate it to Locks of Love, but because I have dyed it in the past, they said I couldn't. icon_sad.gif I didn't know that!

Some people haven't even recognized me today, LOL. And hubby loves it, says it's very flattering. icon_wink.gif

Good for you thumbs_up.gif Can't wait to see pics icon_lol.gif

As for Locks of Love, sorry about that, but try www.pantenne.com They have a program also. It maybe the same as far a colored hair, I'm not sure. That's if you still have that 10inch ponytail icon_lol.gif

Tramski Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #13 of 29

Congratulations!! I can't wait to see the pictures

ncbert Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:07am
post #14 of 29

I can't wait for pics. As being a hairstylist myself, I find that hair of that length really doesn't do much for anybody other than a little girl. I just read the post and I think what I was going to suggest is what you already got!

Hey they even make clip- in extensions now, so hey however short ,you can always add some length or even color/hiltes that way.

Glad ya went for it and LOVE IT!
Nancy

dinas27 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #15 of 29

good for you! Its not easy to let that go... I'm glad you like it and I'm sure it looks amazing healthy (and you look a lot younger!).

I cut 14" off a couple of years ago to donate for locks for love, I'm getting ready to do it again soon, my husband isnt too impressed with the idea though!

AJsGirl Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:44am
post #16 of 29

Ok, here's the "before" and "after"! The "before" was taken in the salon. I had just taken it down out of the ponytail it was in, so it hadn't been brushed out or shaken out or anything.

It was a total of 10 inches in the back, graduated to 14 with the angle-cut to the face and the layering. I'm going to color it red next week! icon_biggrin.gif

Tell me what you think!
LL
LL

dinas27 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #17 of 29

WOW!!! It looks amazing... shiny and healthy it suits you sooooo well!

Tramski Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:04am
post #18 of 29

Oh wow! I love it! You look fabulous, simply fabulous!

TC123 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:38am
post #19 of 29

Wow! Look how your hair curls into pretty ringlets with it being shorter! Very pretty!!! And I give you a lot of credit, too, for being so "brave." thumbs_up.gif

AJsGirl Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm
post #20 of 29

Why, thank you for the wonderful compliments ladies! icon_biggrin.gif I've been feeling like a million bucks these last few days! And now I can't wait to color it! Yippee!

awolf24 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #21 of 29

I love the new cut - very pretty! I think you made an excellent choice. Now you'll have to post the after after picture with the new color too. icon_smile.gif

ncbert Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:37pm
post #22 of 29

LOOKS GREAT! Cutting it,really made the curls bounce! thumbs_up.gif

Katie-Bug Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #23 of 29

thumbs_up.gif Just wanted to tell you your hair looks awesome!! thumbs_up.gif

Aliwis000 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:12pm
post #24 of 29

WOW! You look great! One thing about a great haircut is it gives you a boost and you look better both from the cut and from the fact that you FEEL better!

Ironbaker Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:36am
post #25 of 29

You look fabulous and wear it well!

Love your glasses too. icon_smile.gif

AJsGirl Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:17pm
post #26 of 29

icon_redface.gif Gosh, thanks everyone! People are still noticing even though it's been a while since I cut it! There are so many ways to style it now, and I went out and bought a bunch of cute headbands, clips, etc. And it's so easy, wash and go! If anyone out there is thinking about a new 'do, just do it! icon_cool.gif

Ironbaker Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:20pm
post #27 of 29

I just realized you are local! Whoever cut it did a great job. I usually cut mine around this time since it gets so hot here but I haven't the last couple of years. It's at a decent length though.

AJsGirl Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:52pm
post #28 of 29

Ironbaker, where in Atlanta are you? I'm in Gwinnett County. I also noticed our birthdays are one day apart! LOL

Ironbaker Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:53pm
post #29 of 29

LOL I didn't even notice that! YAY Libras!!

I'm in the Vinings/Smyrna area. Work in Sandy Springs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%