What Brand/size Pans?

Decorating By moopie Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 7:41pm by moopie

moopie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moopie Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 3

Hi eveyrone!

I'm new here but I am so into this. I am thrilled to have found somehting I love.

I am going to be buying supplies so that I can start learning to make beautiful and delicious cakes, but I have to ask...

What sizes would you say are "standard"??

Are there any brands/ other tools you think I should get??

I really want to get good at this! Please help!

I was thinking of buying the Wilton pack (with an 8, 10, 12, and 14, 2" deep) But I'm not sure! How deep should my pans be??

Thanks so much!!

2 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 3

Boy that is hard to say, if I knew back when I started what I know now, I would buy all magic line pans. They are to best for straight sides and perfect looking cakes, but they do cost more than the wilton one. I bought the wilton years ago and have slowly been buying the magic line ones. I would say to start you would need 6,8,10,12 then when you start going to bigger cakes buy the 14. But that is just my opinion. Make sure you have plenty of bags, different sizes. The Americolor brand of coloring is best. They are in squeeze bottles and they offer alot of colors. You need a turn table too, I have just the wilton one and it works great for small cakes and I have a big turntable for weddings, but you may have to just buy a few things at a time. To start I bought that wilton tote to hold bags, tips, spatulas and misc things. I use it all the time. Hope this helps a little, I am sure others have ideas too. Good luck with your new hobby.

moopie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moopie Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much! I would really love to turn this into a business as I can't work in a "real" work environment. I have experience running my own business before, so the business side isn't really a problem for me.

I am certainly going to take classes when I can afford to, but I feel like the tools should take priority over the education...so I can atleast be sure this is what I want to do!

Thanks so much for all of your help! icon_smile.gif

I was planning to make my own fondant (marshmallow recipe) as this seems to be the most popular and its taste is raved about.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%