Dessert Table

Business By Rochelle1 Updated 9 Jun 2008 , 2:25am by southerncake

Rochelle1 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 8

Someone asked me to provide a costing for pastries to set up a dessert table at a luncheon for 600 persons. Now I don't know what to do icon_confused.gif . How large the selection or choices should be. Is 5 enough. If it is a luncheon with a dessert table would they not expect small servings? Should each dessert I provide be able to serve the 600 persons.

I am thinking a choice of 5 pastry and providing 500 serving for each dessert.

I am open to any suggestions and help
Thank You
Rochelle

7 replies
Solecito Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 8

I've been wondering the same thing, but I was thinking that 3 servings per guest are more than enough, since there is going to be food. But of course that would also depend on the size of the pastries. Guess I'm just talking in circles. Let's hope someone else can helps us.

Rochelle1 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 8

Solecito Thanks. That idea did help me somewhat.
Rochelle

mkolmar Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 8

Depends on how people eat in your area. In my area they put on the feed bag and go to town. I did an event (dessert table) for 300 people. I made more than enough for them. Over 1,200 servings. It was all gone. It got to the point where I was taking wine goblets and filling them with scraps of cake with non-dairy whipping cream and cherries. Everyone was grabbing one item of each and I made 9 different items. It was crazy.

I would suggest doing just 3-5 desserts at the most. Keep yourself more sane during the process than I did.

Good luck on your event.

indydebi Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 1:13am
post #5 of 8

(well, this is the 3rd time I've tried posting this ... let's hope 3rd times the charm!)

Agree with mkolmar ... 3-5 is pretty standard and you should factor how your crowd "attacks" a dessert table; how large the items are and how rich the items are.

And how many kids are there! icon_rolleyes.gif

suzylynn58 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:36am
post #6 of 8

"In my area they put on the feed bag and go to town."
mkolmar...that is so funny. It is the same where I live. A couple years ago at a mother/daughter banquet, we had a pastry chef that did a dessert table. He said he prepared for 200 and we only had around 125 there. It was all gone! He was so shocked!!! But we really do like to put on the feed bag especially desserts. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Susan

snarkybaker Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:58am
post #7 of 8

Our desserts are very rich and I recommend 2.5 pieces per person after a meal. If your client is only serving dessert, then plan for 3.5-4 pieces per person.

southerncake Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:25am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Our desserts are very rich and I recommend 2.5 pieces per person after a meal. If your client is only serving dessert, then plan for 3.5-4 pieces per person.

I figure the same as txkat, but we are from the same state -- your area may be a little different. Like debi said above, if there are a lot of children, sometimes you need a lot more!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%