Need Opinnion

Decorating By venefica Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 8:49pm by miss_sweetstory

venefica Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 24

Let me just start off by saying that I didn't want to do this cake... not at all. I didn't think that I had the ability, nor did I want to make it. I don't like horror movies... and I hate blood! But the couple begged me relentlessly over the course of an entire month, so I said OK. This is a grooms cake for a wedding tomorrow. And as I look at the stupid thing I just don't know what to think. Does the hand look OK... I think it looks kind of remedial? I used sugarveil for blood because it would dry shiny... now that I look at it Ijust don't know if that was the right choice. Should I pour some thinned royal icing over it to dull it out? Also, I had made a butchers knife out of fondant to go on the end right where the arm is cut off... but DH thought it was a real and picked it up abruptly to put it away, and broke it. So now I am unsure if my new one that I made will dry in time. Do you think that a color flow butchers knife will work? I know that will dry over night and make it in time... but it would be awfully thin.... I just don't know. I need ideas please! icon_cry.gif
LL

23 replies
lardbutt Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 24

I think it looks GROSS! And btw that IS a compliment!

Who the heck would want this at their wedding? Please tell me the connection! Why do they want this?

I think you did an awesome job!

I think a fondant knife would look better. I hope it dries in time!

dinas27 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 24

ew that is so disgusting that its probably perfect just the way it is. i think the blood is quite realistic.

I think the knife would add to it - if it doesnt dry to could just place it on the board like the hand is reaching for it even in death.

venefica Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 24

OMG what a great idea about the hand reaching out for it!!! This is why I love this place! Thanks Erin!

venefica Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 24

The groom is apparently really into B rated horror flicks. I just can't see it at a wedding!

Mizuki Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 24

The yellowish color makes it look bloated...like it's been a while since "the accident" Ewwww!!! Way to go!! thumbs_up.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 24

Really, really nasty - but I think it's definatley what they were looking for.

bambuf Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 24

I know that you did not want to do this cake, cuz yeah...that is a very strange request...but I have to say...This cake is AWESOME! I suppose that makes me morbid, but as far as pulling it off, you have more than done so! icon_smile.gif Don't change a thing...if the knife dries in time, then use it. Otherwise, I say it is perfect! icon_smile.gif.

dinas27 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by venefica

OMG what a great idea about the hand reaching out for it!!! This is why I love this place! Thanks Erin!

no problem... thats why I love this site too! and come here often, ok very often... like now while I eat my lunch at my desk at work

wgoat5 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 24

I'd put a wedding ring on it LMAO

Awesome take on what you had to do icon_smile.gif

terrig007 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 24

While it's not my style it's a wonderful cake. I think you've done an awesome job. I like the wedding ring thing too-does that make me weird-don't answer! icon_lol.gif

DoniB Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 24

Ugh! It's completely creeping me out, which tells me that you've done a great job on it. icon_razz.gif

wgoat5 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 24

LOL yes it does make you weird... like me!!! LMBO icon_smile.gificon_lol.gif

bambuf Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 24

I think the wedding ring idea is awesome...of course, this is coming from a person whose secret wish is to play Mrs. Lovitz in the Sondheim musical "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street". I guess I will have to settle for being a regular baker (not one who bake people into pies!) LOL

tlreetz Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #15 of 24

I LOVE groom's cakes!! It gives the groom an opportunity to show his side at the wedding! The cake seems to be more about the bride usually. I LOVE this cake!! No matter how grotesque it is, it shows the groom's side and if people are at the wedding and understand the groom, then they will understand the cake. BTW, I love Teerrig's idea of putting a wedding ring on it!! thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #16 of 24

LOL bambuf.. actually watching that movie tonight icon_smile.gif

kakelady00009 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:36pm
post #17 of 24

icon_surprised.gif OK...I had to scroll down to see the cake, and IT FREAKED ME OUT!!!!
What an awesome cake.......I am speechless-and ditto to the ring!! icon_surprised.gif

bambuf Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:40pm
post #18 of 24

wgoat5,

I have been a huge fan of the musical since I was a kid...so, imagine how giddy I was when I found out that it was coming out as a film...and with Johnny Depp as the lead! Of course, the singing is weak, but the movie is great and Johnny Depp really did an awesome job...Okay...I'll stop hijacking the thread now...

TheCakeGirl87 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm
post #19 of 24

Good job but that is GROSS!

2kiddos Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #20 of 24

thumbs_up.gif I LOVE it! You did an awesome job! As gruesome as it may be, I love when brides/grooms get creative with their groom's cakes!

Excellent job!!!!!

cheeseball Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #21 of 24

That. Is. Awesome. And it looks like the owner of the arm was jaundiced! I jumped when I scrolled down! icon_lol.gif

Maria_Campos Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:01pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambuf

I think the wedding ring idea is awesome...of course, this is coming from a person whose secret wish is to play Mrs. Lovitz in the Sondheim musical "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street". I guess I will have to settle for being a regular baker (not one who bake people into pies!) LOL

Mrs Lovitz!!!!! LMAO! I just saw the movie 3 days ago, they di awesome, I love Johnny Depp!

Oh and by the way the cake is way gross, Awesome!!

venefica Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:39pm
post #23 of 24

I am so putting a ring on his finger icon_wink.gif

miss_sweetstory Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:49pm
post #24 of 24

Wow...that's really gross...but in a good way.

The wedding ring is a great idea! Regarding the fondant knife, do you have any Tylo powder to knead into the fondant. If you use a little more than you normally would when making modeling paste it will dry faster...mind, you will have to work faster.

Well done, and may I say ICK!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%