Painting On Fondant

Decorating By Manna4 Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 3:44pm by MomLittr

Manna4 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 7

I am wondering what is the best way to paint on fondant. I've tried both combinations, water & food color, and vodka & food color; and the food color clumped. Is there any away to avoid the clumping. Thanks

6 replies
mcdonald Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 7

have you tried to thin out your color before you start painting?? Sounds like it is too thick maybe??

chovest Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 7

Try adding a dropper full (1/2 tsp.) of Vodka to a little dish, then dip the end of your brush into the paste color and gently stir into into the Vodka. It sounds like your using too much color. It really doesn't take much at all. It's always easier to add more if needed than to try thinning it out. Hope this helps.

MacsMom Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 7

I use vodka as it dries without being sticky.

I've never had clumping, what brand did you use? I've used both Wilton and Americolor.

mindywith3boys Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 7

I always use airbrush paint. You don't have to have an airbrush to use it. You can use it with a paintbrush.

tygre Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 7

I use vodka and wilton colors, though I have used water if there needs to be no alchol. The fishing cake in my photos was hand painted MMF

MomLittr Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 7

I have only tried it once to see how it goes (see cookie in my pics), but used the Americolor straight from the jar. Hmm, may have to try that vodka trick because it took a long time for the colors to dry and not be sticky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%