Fondant And Fridges -Oh Please Help!!!

Decorating By Tellis12 Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 7:39pm by step0nmi

Tellis12 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 4

I made the mistake of telling a client that I would do a cream based filling in a fondant covered cake. The filling has pudding mix in it so it is slightly more stable than it might be normally, however it is very hot and humid out and I don't want to leave it out! I have read that you can put fondant covered cakes in the fridge if you first cover and seal them well with saran wrap so that it keeps out the moisture. Has anyone done this? I'm using Satin Ice fondant, if that makes a difference. Thank you thank you thank you!

3 replies
step0nmi Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 4

oh no! it IS hot out! I am not sure that the pudding will hold up under the fondant in the the cake going to be outside?

you CAN put your fondant covered cake in the fridge like you said...but my guess is the condensation from the inside is going to make the cake soggy...that's what pudding does...unless you could use a custard?

I am so sorry...I may be wrong...I wish I had good news for you...I just don't use puddings and stuff like that in the summer.
Hope someone else is more helpful!

JoAnnB Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 4

The fondant can be refrigerated, but you have to guard agains too much condensation. A little, will evaporate quickly. It helps to pull the cake from the fridge to a cool room, and use a small fan to help dry any moisture.

step0nmi Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 4

you know what...if I remember correctly..after I refriderated my jersey cake in the satin didn't seem to sweat a lot...hmmm? but JoAnnB is right...try to do what she said...and I now see that it's not "pudding" that is the filling but a cram base that has pudding added?

Quote by @%username% on %date%