Royal Icing Rail

Decorating By kookiepops Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm by kookiepops

kookiepops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kookiepops Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a groom's cake this weekend and it is a model train, there is railing on the front, end and side of the trail, do you think royal icing will do the trick and if not, any suggestions? Thanks! I attached a pic of the railing detail, I am using fondant and gumpaste to do the rest of the train.

5 replies
agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry can't see any pic. So i would think that if the RI is flat on the board it should be fine, however RI is very brittle so be very careful even when moving the cake as even a slight knock can cause it to shatter. I think i would probably use something like liquerice instead but without a pic i can't be of more help sorry.

kookiepops Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 6

I am really worried now, I may just use the RI on the fondant instead of having it out a quarter of an inch, I wanted it to look more realistic, but I don't want breakage in transport. the pic was too big to attache, thanks for your reply!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 6

You can also pipe you railings let them dry then attach them at the venue. I did this for a graveyard cake a few years ago.

kookiepops Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 6

thank you, I won't be able to take it to the location and attach, the bride is picking the cake up as a surprise, so I think I may just attach it on top of the fondant so I can make sure that there is no breakage. I wish I could get the pic up, but it is too big to attach!

kookiepops Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 6

What do you think about using floral wire and covering it with fondant or RI then attaching it to the train?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%