Has Anyone Ordered Hi-Ratio In The Summer?....help

Decorating By tasha27 Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 7:38pm by LadyPol

tasha27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasha27 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 18

I have a wedding in a few weeks and it is my first wedding cake and also my cousins who share a birthday with me so I want it to be extra special not to mention she is paying me full price for it. The problem is I want to order Hi ratio but all the sites I go to say order at own risk or they don't sell it during summer months. Has anyone ever ordered Hi ratio in the summer and it arrived fine and if so from where. PLEASE HELP ME I AM DESPERATE!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

17 replies
tasha27 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 18

I know the site has been down but can someone please help me I know there are people out here that use Hi Ratio I really need help

LadyPol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyPol Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 18

I just ordered some for the first time from shop bakers nook.com (no spaces)... and there weren't any warnings about ordering at this time of year. I can let you know how it arrives but I don't have any oether experience with it!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 18

I received some on Monday at home. We were having a heatwave on the East Coast (95+ and very humid), but the shortening arrived with no issues. I ordered from GSA.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 18

I was at the GSA website last week or so and they had a message that they don't ship during the summer months! Hmph. I'll have to check it out again.

MichelleM77 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 18

okay, now i can't even find it on the GSA website. Can you point me in the right direction?

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

okay, now i can't even find it on the website. Can you point me in the right direction?

Could be they decided to remove it - too bad since I order from them seems like every other week. Guess I'll have to go somewhere else for the summer.

MichelleM77 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 18

I just called around and found it at a local cake supply shop I've never been too....soooo, guess I better get a second job to pay for what's going to happen when I walk into that place! HA!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:

I just called around and found it at a local cake supply shop I've never been too....soooo, guess I better get a second job to pay for what's going to happen when I walk into that place! HA!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif good luck

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:

okay, now i can't even find it on the website. Can you point me in the right direction?

I couldnt find it either so i emailed Alan and he said they didnt ship it in the summer months, im stuck now dont know where i can get it

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:24pm
post #11 of 18

hi.... when i order.... i order from chefswarehouse.com..... the shortening comes in 50lb. cube.....i use freezer safe plastic bowls and put this shortening in them and put in freezer..... i also order delicious raspberry jam from them..... it comes in about a 15 lb. bucket... i have a basement and i keep this down there in a very cool area.... hth

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 18

You can order it from the bakers kitchen .net (no spaces) for about half the price of shop bakers nook.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #13 of 18

icer101 - I just purchased a huge 50lb block from a supplier in my area and I was wondering how I was going to store it - so you can freeze shortening? I guess it's just like freezing butter which I do all the time. Do you just let it come to room temp and it's as good as new? That would be a great option for me - I could just premeasure it all out into seperate containers and then just use what I need little by little and I wouldn't have to sit there and measure it each time I needed to make icing!! What a great idea!!! That would be so helpful to me to just measure the whole thing out and seperate it all at one time instead of doing a little at a time each time I needed it. Because I HATE that part of making the icing....

thanks
Brandie

MichelleM77 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #14 of 18

www.IntoTheOven.com has both Sweetex and Alpine. I don't see anything about not shipping in the summer. I guess it's at your own risk kind of thing. I love ITO, just can't/don't want to order 50 lbs right now!

http://www.intotheoven.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=shortening&keywords=shortening

LadyPol Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #15 of 18

shop bakers nook.com sells in 1 lb. and 50 lbs. ....... like I said in above post, I've never ordered from them before and I'll let you know how my sweetex arrives. *smile*

tasha27 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks everyone for finally responding. I was beginning to think that no one cared about my problem. I will check out both bakers nook and bakers net but if it isn't to much to ask Lady Pol will you let me know how it arrives. Thanks again.

LadyPol Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:04am
post #17 of 18

I will definitely let you know!

LadyPol Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:38pm
post #18 of 18

Sweetex arrived today and it appears to be fine! My son was home and was able to accept the package so it didn't sit out on the hot porch, though! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%