How Do I Add Fondant Swags To Buttercream Cake

Decorating By busdriverbecky Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 6:08pm by Chef_Stef

busdriverbecky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busdriverbecky Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, So my first wedding cake is coming up next week. The bride wants fondant swags flowing down each tier. Can I attach fondant swags to buttercream iced cake? Do I just use a dab of buttercream to attach them? Do you think they will stay on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you@ icon_rolleyes.gif

8 replies
courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 9

I would like to know this too!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 9

I know that a lot of the links in the Article section are messed up, but...if you go to the HOME page, and scroll down it lists the articles.

http://cakecentral.com/article63-How-To-Make-Fondant-Swags.html

A lot of times, if you will do a search and follow a few of the links you can find a lot of valuable information. Dig around, this is a wonderful website.

HTH,
Pat

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 9

i dont' think the making of the swags is her questions, it's whether or not she can attached them to a buttercream iced cake. i would think it would be just like any other fondant accent, just use a touch of water or buttercream to attach. however, are you asking about swags or fondant drapes? swags go "around" the tier whereas drapes go "down" from one tier to the next

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 9

Aw well... icon_wink.gif In the article it explains how to attach to the cake.

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 9

The article shows how to add the fondant swags to a fondant covered cake... would you do the same with a cake covered in BC? It doesnt seem that the little dab of water on the swag will adhere it to BC.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 9

Try a dab of buttercream or piping gel as "glue" to adhere the swags.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 9

on a buttercream iced cake.... the buttercream will stick to the fondant swags or drapes.... you made need to add more buttercream across the back and top edges of swags and press against buttercream cake and hold slightly.... be patient... be sure buttercream is a good consistency and not too thin... be sure the swags and drapes are not thick and heavy.... so roll thin.... hth

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 9

I've never tried this, and I advise brides to go with fondant cakes if they want swags. I'd be afraid to try attaching them to BC because as the BC softens, the swags' weight could pull the whole setup right down the side of the cake...especially if it's your first wedding...

If you do try it, roll the fondant very thin, and you also might try inserting something like a toothpick or popsicle stick at strategic hidden points under the swags to help support them. I had to do this on barbed-wire swags I made for a BC cake--the only thing that held them up in the 85-degree heat was the toothpicks under them that went into the cakes. It was pretty precarious, but it turned out OK.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%