What Do You Do?

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 2:48pm by awolf24

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 8

I started baking last night for a cake for Saturday. Today I iced it and started decorating. I have nothing to cover it with and foil will mess up the icing. What do you do with your cakes once you've iced them or started covering them with fondant if you are working on them over a couple of days? Do you cover, leave out, or what?

7 replies
noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 8

I will usually slip it into a cardboard box with sides higher than the cake and drape plastic wrap over top of box then refrigerate.

HTH

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 8

Once frosted or covered in fondant I don't cover my cakes. I just leave in the refrigerator until deliver/pick up time.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 8

I buy ALL SHAPES and SIZES of plastic containers. Most of the time I cover the cake with one of those and leave it out. First I turn the container upside down. Lid on the bottom. That way the big plastic container can go down over the top of the cake. You can just let it sit that way or lock it into place. If the container will fit in my refridgerator or freezer I put them in there sometimes. Depends how soon I need them. Most times I need them very soon so I just let them sit out, with the plastic container over the top. thumbs_up.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 8

You could also store them in the COLD oven and make sure nobody turn it on to pre=heat.....yea...Had cupcakes hidden there years ago for kids birthday party and DH was helping me.....

Of course now I have a great multi shelf proof box that I store everything in. It has adjustable shelves so I have no problems with sheet cakes or stacked cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 8

Mine sit out on the counter. The icing crusts and seals the cake, keeping it fresh and moist.

The few times I've refrigerated a cake, I've had problems with it, so I really avoid putting a cake in the 'frig.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Mine sit out on the counter. The icing crusts and seals the cake, keeping it fresh and moist.

The few times I've refrigerated a cake, I've had problems with it, so I really avoid putting a cake in the 'frig.

Me too!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 8

me three![/quote]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%