Any Recreating Ideas For Ribbed Roller?

Decorating By wrightway777 Updated 9 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm by wrightway777

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 9

I need a ribbed roller* (or impression mat - roller is better) for ribbon work that I am doing on a cake (fondant). But...its such a simple pattern I'm trying to keep from having to buy the roller. Is there anyone out there that has an idea for "creating" the ribbed impression?

*you can see what I'm talking about on GSA site (do a search for ribbed roller). Having to write it this way so they wont block it in this post.

8 replies
golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:42am
post #2 of 9

Go to the hardware store and get a long threaded rod.

wrightway777 Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 9

hey....thats a good idea. I was stuck in the bolt section but could not really find one without the head part. A rod....I think I will look in the plumbing section tomorrow - thanks!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 9

i found mine at Lowe's. They are in the same aisle as the bolts but they were on the other side and down a few feet. They have some longer ones, and some that are maybe 6 inches or so. The shorter ones were in one of those organizers that has the pull out drawers, and the longer ones are in a different place, same aisle, farther down- in my store that is.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 9

They are called all thread. They can be 4 feet long in some cases so you can get the length you need.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 9

If you want a tiny ribbing, go to the pet supplies department and look for bird cage supplies... the long rubber, or plastic rod for perching has some ribbing on it............ very cheap icon_biggrin.gif

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 9

I am having trouble figuring out how you would use the threaded rod.... doesn't the thread go the wrong way?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 9

I was thinking the same thing

wrightway777 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 9

the threading is ok as long as it doesnt "spiral". Then the grooves become the actual ribs. Tested it out this weekend.

Thanks for the other ideas too! Who would have thought a pet store! I will check that out too to see if the grooves are deep enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%