Sure, I Can Pull A Cake Out Of My

Decorating By cakesbycathy Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 7:02pm by Kitagrl

cakesbycathy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 25

A$$, no problem! icon_confused.gif
Warning: this is long!

So Dh comes home at 3:30 and asks me if I can do a graduation sheet cake to feed 60-80 people for one of his tenants. For Saturday. THIS Saturday.

I already have an order for 4 dozen cookies (which is done) and a 2 tiered cake for tomorrow and a 3 tiered cake for Saturday (which I am delivering Sat afternoon).

Tell Dh I could do it, but will make myself crazy and if she really wants the cake she'll have to pay an additional $25 rush fee , since I have to go to the store (with my 3 kids!) so we're talking around $200 when all is said and done.

Dh: "Well, what's it going to cost you in ingredients? $50? Can't you just tell her you'll do it for around $150 and make $100 bucks?"

Me: "First off, this is totally last minute and second, in this case my time and sanity are worth more than $100!!"

Dh: "Can you just do her a favor? You are a business."

Me: "I am a business, NOT a grocery store bakery."

So, I call up the woman. She knows it's so last minute, they just totally forgot about the cake, yadda, yadda, yadda. I tell her I can do it, but she will have to come and pick it up on Sat since I have another cake to deliver (they live 45 min away). She's not happy. Too bad.

Her: "I'd like 2 different flavors. We're expecting around 80 people."

Me: "That's fine. (I'm talking out loud adding as I'm thinking) To feed that many people I will do two 11x15s next to each other. I charge $2.25 a slice and so one cake will cost $94.50 so times two that's... "

Her: "$94.50? Oh I don't want to spend that much on cake."

Me; "Actually, your total would be closer to $200. But since that's out of your budget, you're better off checking at Giant Easle or Sam's Club."

Sigh...first off you just remembered you need a cake?? And second, DH is going to get a serious reality check.

I figured some of you would get a chuckle out of this!
Thanks for reading!

24 replies
wgoat5 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 25

What ??? YOU DON"T POOP CAKE???

Come ON Cathy surely you do LOL

This is hilarious.. after I was done laughin I'd whoop up on my DH!!!! GRRR LOL

mgdqueen Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 25

DH needs to NOT let the tenant know you can pull it out of your butt for a small price...which may have been what happened. Luckily, mine knows better! icon_lol.gif

Tallmama Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 25

Very Funny!!!

mcdonald Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 25

I had someone call me on a SUnday night asking me if there are cakes for diabetics. She tells me her husbands bday is Monday (the next day!)... so I say... "OH.. DID YOU NEED A RECIPE???!!!" She quickly replies.. ."Oh no.. I don't bake". So I tell her I just don't have all the ingredients at home and I work a full time job and just couldn't get it. I really didn't want to start doing cakes last minute (it was just a simple 8 inch cake). Once you start..... well, she calls me back... "What about just a chocolate cake" .. and can you put white icing on that????"

This woman wouldn't take no for an answer. I am just starting up my little shop so I did it but charged her $35 for an 8 inch round that I just put a border on and wrote happy birthday!!

Some people just don't get it!!!

lepaz Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 25

Ha!! Christi!!! You kill me!!! (I don't know how the work the quote thingy)

Anyways, it's horrible enough when a customer wants you to pull a cake out of your oriface, but when it's your own wedded hubby is truely unbearable! THey are the ones who see the stressful hair pulling that goes on in the kitchen. I say 10 lashings for the man!

wgoat5 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 25

I say.. everytime he puts you in that position you get to hot wax part of his body icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

ATCakes Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 25

I can relate. It took me years to get DH to understand that I can't just whip out a cake in an hour. I don' have the Keebler elves locked in the secret cake room at my beck & call!!

CakeMommyTX Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 25

This just happened to me, my sister just called ( I literally just hung up with her) and she wants to know if I'm busy? And if I'm not can I "whip up a quick cake for her?"
I say " how quick ?"
She says " I would need to pick it up some time tonight, before 8pm!"
Its 5pm right now and I'm at home and I don't have any supplies, but ya I guess I can not feed or bathe my children, not return customers calls and emails and whip up a quick cake.
She of all people should know its not gonna happen.
I of course told her no.
I'm really finding that word handy lately.

wgoat5 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 25

Well if you can find keebler elves I will trade you some of my pixies icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

CNCS Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 25

Let hubby bake/make the cake.

Mike1394 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 25

So does he at least get a pillow, and blanket to keep him warm on the couch? icon_eek.gif

Mike

wgoat5 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:23pm
post #13 of 25

oh heck no!!! No blanket it for butthead icon_biggrin.gif

LanaC Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:36pm
post #14 of 25

Mine's the opposite. He will quote a price that is $50 over what I would normally charge. He adds in his time as well, saying that the time I spend making a cake is time he has to deal with the kids.

FromScratch Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #15 of 25

HA!!! My DH is the same as your LanaC..

I swear.. most people have no idea what it takes to make a good cake.

I am Lovin' that hot wax idea of your's Christi!! I like the way you think.. icon_lol.gif

SweetResults Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:23pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

everytime he puts you in that position you get to hot wax part of his body Wink Laughing

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Can I use that for other things as well?

wgoat5 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:25pm
post #17 of 25

LOL SURE.. I do icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

hwnhulahands Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:36pm
post #18 of 25

Yeah, my DH knows better. He's the telling me to charge more and do a rush fee. Shame on your husband. He should know better. So did she end up buying the cake for $200?

dabear Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:45pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaC

Mine's the opposite. He will quote a price that is $50 over what I would normally charge. He adds in his time as well, saying that the time I spend making a cake is time he has to deal with the kids.

that would sooo be my husband, if I sold cakes! I don't get compenstated for dealing with the kids -why should he??? LOL!

Angelgirl Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:46pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCakes

I can relate. It took me years to get DH to understand that I can't just whip out a cake in an hour. I don' have the Keebler elves locked in the secret cake room at my beck & call!!

HA! If you ever find any Keebler elves, would you mind sharing? Those guys seem to have it all together.

I was asked to do a last minute cake last week for a graduation party because the family just found out that the local grocery store doesn't bake their own cakes... they get them shipped in. I am not a business, and I work a second job 2 nights a week. She wanted to feed at least 40 people and wanted me to draw a phoenix bird on the top. I can't draw for anything- oh and of course, she needed it on Saturday and it was Thursday! Uh, I don't think so! People really don't get it!

tyty Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:07pm
post #21 of 25

My DH asked Monday if I could bake a cake for him to take to a party on Saturday. I told him I really had a lot to do this week and wouldn't be able to do it. I still work full time also. Last night I came home from work and made icing and simple syrup. When I was done I sat down and relaxed because when I get home from work tonight I have to get started on the 4 cake orders that are due Saturday. DH said "you aren't doing anything now (mind you it's 8:00 pm), you can't bake a cake". I just turned around and said "NO". icon_eek.gif

emrldsky Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:18pm
post #22 of 25

Wow, how terrible! I wish he understood the time and effort that you put into your work. icon_sad.gif

My husband is a gem, and wouldn't trade him in (he's practically a Keebler Elf himself!). If I need icing tinted, and he so happens to ask if I need help, I take him up on it. icon_wink.gif He definitely understands what I go through.

He also knows if he ever did that to me, I wouldn't make the hot wax comment, I'd just do it while he was sleeping. icon_wink.gif

cwcopeland Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:56pm
post #23 of 25

Wow! I guess I'm really luck when it comes to cakes and my husband. He'd never do that (i don't think). He gets mad when people try to take advantage of me and my cakes.

Now, if he were as good at cleaning out the garage, mowing, fixing stuff....

fondantgrl Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #24 of 25

Let yous husband make this cake ... he's the one that said yes to them.. icon_cool.gif

Kitagrl Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:02pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

Her: "$94.50? Oh I don't want to spend that much on cake."

I hate that part....I don't want to spend that on CAKE, with "cake" being in bold print and italics and you can hear it in their voice.

As if "cake" is the cheap part you throw in at the last minute from whoever will do it cheapest.

Granted, I won't pay alot for cake...but I don't go around calling custom bakers either!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%