Advice/criticism/suggestions

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 12:40am by butterflywings

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I don't do very many cakes, but when I do, I like to share (I know some of you probably hate these kinds of postings...)

These are my two most recent cakes. One is my Course I final project. The cake itself I'm not real crazy about b/c it was rushed (I was running late for class & kids were NUTZ), which is why it looks a little smooshed and not a smooth as I would have liked, however.. I got that darned ROSE! I still need to practice, practice, practice, but I think for my FIRST EVER Wilton Rose, they look good. I think I still prefer fondant ribbon roses or Duff's roses, but if I have a customer ask, "why yes, i CAN do buttercream roses!".

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1229508

The second is a HM guitar cake I made for the twin daughter's of my son's kindergarten teacher. They only asked that it be bright pink, be a guitar and have the HM logo on it (they didn't want hannah's face, thank goodness!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1229497

I'm still learning, so any and all suggestions and criticisms are welcome! I'm tough, I can take it! LOL

7 replies
bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 8

Both cakes look great! Your roses look wonderful! Kudos to you! thumbs_up.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 8

You did a great job on the roses. Not easy to do in bc. The guitar also is great. You deserve to toot your horn! Good job!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 8

Great job on both cakes Butterflywings!
very nice roses, don't it feel good to get the swing of them? like you've really accomplished something great, LOL icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 8

I like both cakes, but I see that you are the type of person who would prefer to do their own design, rather than something assigned in class. Your passion shows more in the guitar cake.

Can't wait to see what your Wilton II cake looks like!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 8

i think both cake look really good. The roses look good to me. I can't make bc roses. and the guitar looks really good.

great job!!!

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 8

You did a great job on both! thumbs_up.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:40am
post #8 of 8

thank you guys so much! i really don't like making buttercream roses very much, i think it might be b/c i'm lefthanded. i bought the left-hand petal tips and i'm gonna try them with those, maybe i'll have better luck. and these aren't bad. i am going to try a couple of different ideas i got off here - one being using the hershey's kiss as the center and the other being the rose on a stick technique - where you do the rose on the end of a dowel.

and playingwithsugar - you hit the NAIL on the head. i am like that in most aspects of my life, i'd much rather have a general idea and run with it than "here, recreate THIS"

thanks again for all the nice compliments.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%