Decorating By veronica970206 Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 3:28am by ANicole

veronica970206 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 8

Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem, it is like my brain gets into a rut and I cannot imagine any type of freehand scrolling to do on a cake. I have those Wilton scroll press gadgets and to me they just do not look right, how do you come up with your scrollwork? Do you follow a template? Do you copy it off of something? Where can I find more patterns and templates, there are not many on here. Thanks so much. Sincerely, Veronica

7 replies
bashini Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 8

Hi Veronica, I'm not good at free hand scroll works as well. I also use the Wilton scroll to imprint on the fondant and go over it with royal icing.

I only use two from the whole set.

fondantgrl Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 8

icon_smile.gifI like freehand.. that way I am free to go any direction I want. icon_smile.gif

shalderman Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:12am
post #4 of 8

When I'm needing to do scrolls and I don't want just the S or C type I go looking around (search for scroll cake). That gets my brain jucies flowing icon_biggrin.gif Then I figure out the style I want to go with and I sketch out a few basic designs on paper. For me this is a must do cause I've found that when I don't know what I"m doing before I start that it has a BAD ending LOL icon_lol.gif

Then I just create some of those scrolls and then tweak them to make ones slightly different.

Monkess Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:39am
post #5 of 8

I do henna art as a hobby so that is my inspiration for all my scroll cakes. Infact i am making a dummy right now..will post when done!

ANicole Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:50am
post #6 of 8

Okay, but what if you just want a few scrolls? They need to be evenly spaced and same size. I tried the pin prick method and the paper stuck to the icing and gobbed it all up! Help!!

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:17am
post #7 of 8

What I want to know is how you do the scrollwork to wear it doesn't look busy in one place and not in the other.... icon_sad.gif

ANicole Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:28am
post #8 of 8

I'm going to post this in my own topic, but I thought I would post it here, too, in case anyone here knows... these are the scrolls I'd like to do (similar, anyway). The cake will be BC frosted. How should I try to do the scrolls? Actually, now that I'm looking closer, at first glance it looks like fondant, but I think it's actually a BC frosted cake. I got this picture from weddingonadime website.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%