Transporting A Cake Long Distance....need Advice!

Decorating By JensAddiction Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 7:38pm by JoAnnB

JensAddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JensAddiction Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 2

I'm making the cake for my mom's retirement party, which is next week in PA - I'm in NC so it's an 8 hour drive. What I've planned so far is, I'm going to decorate each layer of the cake separately (there are 3 layers), all will be covered in fondant and decorated mostly with fondant and edible paint, so there won't be buttercream that can melt and run, and there won't be much sticking out from the cake that could be crushed. I'm going to put each layer in it's own box and then stack the layers when I get there. The boxes will sit on the floor of my minivan under the back seats. My question is, does anyone know any tried-and-true ways to pack the cakes up so that they stay relatively cool during the drive? Should I try putting each box inside one of those cooler-bags for groceries? The bottom layer is pretty big, especially with its base - a good 16 inches in diameter., and about 5 inches high. I'm not sure they make cake boxes big enough. Certainly not the ones they sell at the stores around my area.

Anyone else transported a cake long-distance before? TIA for your ideas!

1 reply
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 2

If your van has airconditioning, it will be fine, just in a box.

With no airconditioning, it might still be OK, as long as it is out of direct sun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%