A Big Truck!

Decorating By auntginn Updated 9 Jun 2008 , 3:23am by auntginn

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 4

I need to find out how and where to get the mechanics to make the back of a truck bed rise. (Like a dump truck)

I just took an order from a lady whose husband drives a Peterbilt and wants that kind of truck for his 50th birthday party. She is hoping that I can make it go up and down. But I don't know what kind of mechanics I would need for that.

You know the kind, like those wild cakes the Duff from Ace of Cakes makes all the time.

PLEASE, PLEASE Can anyone point me in the right direction.

I would be eternally grateful.

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 4

a simple method is shown below.

hinged boards -- bottom is on top of wheels (could use real toy wheels to support) and top board is what cake that makes up bed of truck rests on.

trick here is will need a display stand that hides the "workings" -- so the truck would be up on a box.

dowel is attached to bottom of top board, runs through hole in bottom board and then attaches to a wooden disk that is attached to a SLOW turning motor.

as the disk spins the bed will raise and lower.

the amount of up and down is controlled most simply by changing the size of the disk ...smaller = less, larger = more.

for motors -- one source Edmund Scientifics
http://scientificsonline.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_421187

HTH
LL

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:15am
post #3 of 4

I KNEW Doug would have an answer to this. Just be careful how much "lift" you allow it to have, it would STINK for your cake to slide off! However, it sounds really cool.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:23am
post #4 of 4

Oh Doug, thank you, thank you, thank you. You are a God-Send. She will be so excited and as I said. I am eternally grateful.

Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%