Brainstormin

Decorating By dbdg Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 5:17pm by marthajo1

dbdg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbdg Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 10

Last year my mother and i both competed at our (very large, in fact the largest in our state) fair in the 30 min cake decorating contest. we had a blast and learned a lot. she recieved first and i was second (very exciting in itself). this year i would like to bring home the very cool rosette instead of a smaller place ribbon. (and this year my daughter is going to compete in the youth division so its going to be 3 gen. doing thisicon_biggrin.gif) -be patient eventually there IS a question- i realize it is early but i am trying to plan what i would like to do this year.i have an idea that i would like to do a puzzle but i have no idea what to do for the top. bear in mind all must be completed within 30 min. any ideas?

9 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:51am
post #2 of 10

I'm guessing that by puzzle you mean a jigsaw puzzle. This sounds cool. As for a topper, how about a glue bottle or some snack item that might be seen while working a puzzle? I don't do puzzles very often but I hope this helps.

Michele

dbdg Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 10

i do like the glue bottle idea, i was trying to decide what to put on the cake itself though.

andria7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andria7 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 10

Since it is a state fair, what if you made a ferris wheel? This would look really cool in a big circular cake. I hope this helps!

Andria

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 10

can you tell us a bit more about the rules?

is your cake already frosted and then you have to decorate in 30 mins?

what can you bring with you that is premade?

do you bring your own piping bags, tips, and frosting? can you bring any other tools?

That is a huge challenge and congrats to you and your mom for doing so well on your first try.

Maybe you could do a petting zoo theme and use BC figure piping to make a sheep, pig, and so on.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 10

What is the theme for the fair? I think that might be fun to work into your design.
What state are you in? I would love to enter a contest like that.

dbdg Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 10

(first, i do not have internet at home so i reply on days when i am at school,sorry about the slow time)

you have 30 minutes to decorate your cake anyway u see fit, however, everthing must b edible(last year my mom used kitkat bars to make a fence post as part of her design) u may bring your cake (or form) iced, your bags may be filled. stencils are allowed,ect. but no premade flowers, ect. you may use anything you want to create as long as the final presentation is all edible. i am not sure what this years theme is yet. im just trying to plan ahead because(very TIC) the old woman is going down ;D. besides i want the cool pretty ribbon

my 7yr old daughter has decided she wants to participate in the childrens division. she wants to make a "ballarina cake". so this year it will be three generations participating. we took the wilton class(1st only so far, time is an issue. she is a RN and i am in my clinicals) togetherand signed up together. we had a lot of fun doing this together.

we are in ohio. this is a county fair, but as i stated earlier. it is the largest county fair in ohio.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 10

What a fun contest! I agree I wish our fair did that! Course I know that BCJean would blow me out of the water with her amazing piping!

You could pipe a quick scene with buttercream then flatten it somehow (parchment?) then draw the puzzle lines on. It would be cute to come with your cake already carved with a missing piece!

**** Speaking of that***** BCJEAN ****

Can I talk you into entering the fair..... I am trying to get some more professionals to enter- I don't want the category to die! I asked them about having an all BC category but I don't know if they will until the books come out. But if you enter this year then next year they probably would do it!

dbdg Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 10

i like that. ill have to play with it a little a see what i like. hmmm.<wheels turning> they have low turn out from the professionals for this contest also.
i was planning to carve b4 i came tats where i got the puzzle idea.

jacquie(my daughter) was so jealous last year watching the kids division. so she as taught herself(with a little guidence)how to make drop flowers, sells, and leaves ad is working on her plan. (her original idea was to make it look like a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, but now we seem to be in a ballerina spell....who knows what well b doing by aug. as long as its fun)

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 10

I did my BIL's birthday cake with buttercream flattened.... but I took a lot longer..... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=518313

Oh it would be cute to make it look like just one piece of a puzzle.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%