Keep Or Rebake? Wwyd?

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 3:14pm by Trixyinaz

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 15

Ok I made a 12x18 sheet cake today for a grooms cake on Saturday. I am going to need pretty much the whole cake except for a few inches on the bottom, I'm trying to make a jersey cake. Anyways, when I baked it and pulled it out of the oven and flipped it over to get my flower nails out of it from the underside, I must have not had a tight grip on the board because the weight at one end caused the board to bend which in return caused my cake to cake, not good. So my question is this ... should I keep this sheet cake even though its cracked all the way across and all the way through the cake, but it will be frosted and no one will see it, except if they go to cut it and it cut's bad, or should I toss this cake and run to town buy more cake mixes and eggs and come home and try it again? The wedding is on saturday but I wanted most of my baking done today. any opinions would be really appreciated!

14 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 15

Keep it. It won't affect the design. I do this all the time. thumbs_up.gif

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 15

If it were me, I would re-bake. A family cake it would not matter, but I would not want to take the chance of it falling apart at a wedding. jmo.

TheCakerator Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 15

ay yi yi! Now what? Is there anyone willing to be the tie breaker?

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 15

Rebake, imo.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 15

Keep them... frosting works wonders

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 15

I would tend to re-bake....but it greatly depends on my schedule and just how far away town is!

If I'm pushed for time, I'd "glue" that sucker together with icing and get it done! icon_lol.gif

TheCakerator Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 15

so right now I got more people voting to re bake then to frost over it .. town is only about ten minutes away and the cake isn't due until saturday, so I would have time to re bake it, but I hate the thought of wasting this cake. My family is not into eating cakes anymore and I don't have the freezer space to store it.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 15

Whether your family likes cake shouldn't be what determines whether you rebake a cake that you've sold for a wedding, KWIM?

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 15

If it is a paid cake, I would rebake it. You could alway make cake balls and freeze the broken cake in the ball form (so you don't have to take up so much room). I had a cake do a similar thing last summer, and I opted to glue it with frosting (I agree - frosting can do wonders), it looked great, tasted great, but when they cut it at the venue, it fell apart and was a pain to plate, and the lady who cut it would not stop complaining about it, something like "I have cut cakes for 50 years and never had one do this, and on and on". Luckily, the couple who the cake was for was so happy with the design, and the taste, they told her to stuff it, but something like that could really have a damaging affect on your reputation.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 15

i was going to say keep it, until i read this last comment and now i have to agree.. rebake it. i'd want the floor to swallow me up if someone kept on and on like that about one of my cakes (whether i was there to hear it or not).

cakes BALLS baby! my hubby is tired of eating cake, too, but you throw some cake balls at him and MAN he goes to town! (i think he secretly hopes i'll mess up a cake very now & then so he can have the balls LOL)

TheCakerator Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm
post #12 of 15

thanks you guys. I went to town and bought all new stuff for a new sheet cake. Will either bake late tonight or tomorrow, probably tonight so there's less to do tomorrow. I wasn't really worried about appearance because I knew no one would notice, but was more nervous about when they cut into it. I never thought I wouldn't re bake just cause my family doesn't like cake, I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on this sort of thing and if they thought it would cut up fine. I can use some of this cake for the sleeves of the jersey but the other part will just go to the trash. I can't make cake balls to save my life icon_redface.gif thanks again for the help you guys.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 15

I think rebaking is over-rated. I've never had a cake fall apart on me that cracked.

My sister's wedding cake had a layer that cracked in half. It got used in the tier and had no issues. When I cut it, you couldn't even tell.

TheCakerator Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:30pm
post #14 of 15

thanks aswartzw, I did end up re baking the cake. I'm sure it could have been used, but I know the type of person I am and I guess I would have nit picked about that over and over and over again! I hate to waste cake but in the end that's what had to be done I guess ... if I would have gotten all replies back saying use it use it, I would have, but since it was 50/50 I decided I would feel better with it re baked.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:14pm
post #15 of 15

One of the cakes in my mom's 3-tierd cake cracked, but I used it anyway. When I went to cut it, it held together perfectly and you couldn't even tell. Maybe b/c the cake was super moist and after decorating and sitting in the fridge overnight, it fused back icon_lol.gif Good luck rebaking and if this one cracks, I'd say use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%