Topsy Turvy Cake Layer ??

Decorating By coreenag Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm by AJsGirl

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a 3 layer topsy turvy cake. I have decided that I will use Lindy Smiths way and cut the top at an angle then carve the sides. My question is how tall are your layers of cake before you start cutting? DO you bake 2 cakes for each layer? I normally bake 3 inch cakes then when I torte and layer them they are 4 inch. Would this work or should I bake 2 cakes that and torte and layer each of them? I don't want my layers to look too short but that is going to be ALOT of cake! Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

2 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 3

For me, the taller the layer to start off with the better. It gives more depth to your work. These cakes are supposed to be a 3D kind of effect. And too short will not give you that.

I don't know how many your cake needs to feed but maybe you can use smaller cakes to start off with. Such as instead of a 14 inch, you make a 12 inch.

HTH

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 3

I carve the sides, too. I use 3 - 2" layers in each tier, but by the time I cut one of the layers at an angle, it ends up being 2 layers of cake on the "low" side.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%