Sugarshack Buttercream

Decorating By lainalee Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 4:52pm by mlharvell

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 56

Help, can someone tell me if the buttercream frosting recipie by Sugarshack is a crusting buttercream. Wedding Sat, very hot and humid all of the sudden. This looks awesome, but will it hold up?? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

55 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 56

absolutely! icon_smile.gif

lainalee Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 56

Thanks Beachcakes for responding. I'm sitting at the computer waiting cause I wasn't sure what to do. !st wedding cake!
icon_lol.gif

beachcakes Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 56

icon_smile.gif Good luck w/ your first wedding cake!! icon_smile.gif

cheflish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheflish Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 56

SugarShack's BC is AWESOME!!!!

I was worried that my stand mixer would burn up - I must have been doing SOMETHING wrong....maybe not enough liquid????

BUT - it did turn out smooth and WONDERFUL!!! Will definitely use again!!!

Lish

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 56

I have a question about sugarshack's icing too. I made it for the first time this week, and loved it! I just used regular crisco bc I don't have any hi-ratio stuff. Can someone tell me what the difference is in the final product using the hi-ratio stuff? Is it really worth forking out the $$ for it?

beachcakes Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 56

I use regular Crisco too, but I use 5 c Crisco to 4# pwdered sugar. It works fine for me. Hi Ratio is supposed to be less greasy or gritty. I'd have to ship it, so I haven't tried it yet. Some day I'll try it!! icon_smile.gif

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 56

Thanks Beachcakes! I have never noticed my bc being "gritty" before. I guess it's better since all the experts rave about it. I'd have to ship it, too. No place here in the magnolia state has it to sell.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 56

I am going to give this buttercream a whirl tonight, but my question is...I prefer not to use powdered creamer (plus I do not have any and dont have the time oe $ to run off ot the store to get some). Can I use all liquid creamer/milk? Would I need to heat it up or is the hot water only to disolve the powder? Can cold liquid go into the buttercream? Thanks!!

nicolepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolepa Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 56

I have made SS icing with both crisco and hi-ratio. Crisco is good, using hi-ratio made it out of this world. It is so smooth and creamy. I tried using some of the Crisco batch I had in the freezer and the texture is definitly more gritty and not as smooth.

As for the hot liquid. No it's not just to disolve the creamer. SS says she keeps it in the fridge and then warms it up when she needs it. You should definitly add the liquid warm.

thedessertdiva Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:11pm
post #11 of 56

So you think its ok to use an all liquid creamer (coffeemate or Intl' delights), just warmed up a bit?

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:15pm
post #12 of 56

I'd PM sugarshack and ask her if she's ever tried it. I can't really see where is would make much difference. But I would definitely use it hot.

thedessertdiva Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 56

hehehehee...its kind of like PM'ing a rock star... icon_wink.gif

Ok, I'll ding her and ask. Thanks all for your help!

lainalee Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:27pm
post #14 of 56

OMG, I used this this past weekend for the wedding, on an island, 94 degrees, outside. It was perfect, held up without a flaw. It is a dream to work with, AND is about the best buttercream i've ever tried. I'm dying to show a picture but have had trouble with the gallery so hope it works here. Thanks guys for all your help!!

mindywith3boys Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:32pm
post #15 of 56

LOL icon_lol.gif I PM'd her once and she pm'd me back right away with an answer. She is faboo, but she's also one of us! LOL You know... CC Cake Crazy!! icon_razz.gif

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:37pm
post #16 of 56

I was thinking she mentioned using the powdered creamer mixture instead of milk so she didn't have to worry about refrigeration. I might be wrong though. Doesn't the liquid creamer require refrigeration? I do have to say though, it is yummy!!! I finally tried it last week.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:48pm
post #17 of 56

i just use warm water and get the same good results, but i use a little merange powder and dream whip (ont in the liquid, i add it in dry). there is something about the liquid being warm that makes the bc smooth

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:54pm
post #18 of 56

I think the boiling liquid helps disolve the normal grit from PS. As for heating up regular creamer, like the other poster said, it is fine as long as you treat the icing as a perishable.

thedessertdiva Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:22am
post #19 of 56

I PM'd Sharon and she states she has never used the liquid creamer so she couldnt answer if using it got the same result. Sooooo...I am going to use it, warmed up a bit (about a cups worth), and see what happens. I just hope this makes enought to crumb coat and frost a 8", 12" and 16" in cake (each tier is 4" high)!!

thedessertdiva Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:41pm
post #20 of 56

Ok. So I have made the Sugarshack Buttercream.

Oh.

My.

Goodness.

icon_eek.gif

YUMMMMMMMMMMM-OOOOOOOOOO.

Its so thick and creamy and fills up my entire KA bowl, and no grittyness to it at all. I do believe it is the most wonderful buttercream I have ever expierienced, and yes...it is an expierience.

My question is...its...creamy. Almost too creamy, maybe. Is this right? I was hoping to use some of this as the icing dam between layers, but will it hold up? And this is a crusting buttercream, correct?

How do you store this? The only thing I have that is big enough is my HUGE stock pot. I guess I could put it all in there (I need to make 3 batches of this) and press and seal the top really really well.

All in all...what in the heck have I been missing out on!!??? icon_wink.gif

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #21 of 56

Hello everyone,
I'm going to try her buttercream in a few weeks but was wondering...I only have a 4.5 quart KA. Will mine hold all this?

TIA

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:59pm
post #22 of 56

Is Sharon's recipe on CC, or do you just get it from the videos?

abruntz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abruntz Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:59pm
post #23 of 56

Ok so I made it today the buttercream from sugarshack, and it was wonderful to use I truely admit but I couldn't get mine to crust over.....I though by maybe adding some merainge powder would do the trick but it didn't. But maybe this is ok ? Any answers....

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:00am
post #24 of 56

lainalee, Good luck on your wedding cake. I am also making my first wedding cake for 6/21. I plan to use Sugarshack's icing. I always had a problem getting my icing smooth. Now that I use her recipe my icing is going on much easier and smoother. You might want to check into getting SS's DVD on buttercream. It is great. It takes you step by step through prepping and icing a cake with buttercream. It's worth every penny!

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:11am
post #25 of 56

Is there a link to the recipe? I have never heard of this buttercream. Thanks!

thedessertdiva Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:48am
post #26 of 56

Here is what i did...

5 (or close to 5 1/2) cups shortening
5 (or close to 5 1/2) pounds (9-10 cups) powdered sugar (I did not sift, I use bulk - 25 lbs)
2 Tbsp of Almond flavoring
2 Tbsp of Vanilla
1 Cup very warm Italian Sweet Cream Coffee Mate Creamer.

Whip all liquids and shortening together until smooth. Add Powdered sugar. Do this on speed 1. Once it is all incorporated, kick it up to speed 6. Run for about 8 min. Scrape the sides of the bowl...ALLOT.

It is awesome. I just hope it crusts...

mindywith3boys Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:45am
post #27 of 56

You can use it as a dam. She shows on her dvd that you just take out a little and add more powdered sugar to it until it's almost a dough consistency. You can almost roll it into a ball. It is pretty hard to squeeze out of an icing bag. I don't even put a coupler in mine. I have an icing bag that I use just for dams that has a little smaller hole.

HTH! And yes! It is supposed to be super creamy! I have never had a problem with mine crusting. I just follow how she makes it in her you tube video.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:59am
post #28 of 56

This thread has got me so excited! I just got SS's buttercream DVD and can't wait to watch it. Up to now my BC has been good but should kick it up a notch! I have two b-day cakes coming up and will use it on both. Now if my toddler would go to sleep early so I can watch it in peace icon_rolleyes.gif

bakesweet06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakesweet06 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:22am
post #29 of 56

She has a video on youtube preparing the fosting. I'll try it this weekend.

Here is the Link :

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:23am
post #30 of 56

I made this last night and it made roses beautifully! And it crustedicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%